Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Genealogy Radio Show

Options
  • 11-09-2014 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Lorna Moloney of Meriam Research has just started presenting a genealogy radio show on a station in Clare. It's on every Thur, 4:00pm-4:30pm. First guest was Brian Donovan from Eneclann.

http://rcb.ie/
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=538783916267108.

I sent her a tweet to see if there will be podcasts, will report back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Three episodes to listen to on Mixcloud.

Currently listening to episode 1 and so far it's a general introduction to what genealogy is. Lorna also talks about the main resources. Good listening for any beginners.

Episode 2 is about cemeteries and graveyards.

Episode 3 is an interview with Brian Donovan about digitization of records.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

"When an old person dies, a library burns to the ground "

Love that quote

The Kurgan wrote: »
    "When an old person dies, a library burns to the ground "

Love that quote

Liked that on myself, along with "if genealogy was only names and dates we'd be little better than stamp collectors!"

Brian Dononvan had some interesting tidbits: he said the Field and Quarto books have been digitized and index by FMP and are ready to go, they are just waiting on some NAI cataloging to be completed. He said there are 2.5 million names in these records, more than the main Griffith's collection. I think that will be another joint launch, free to access on FMP and NAI websites.

FMP are also working with TNA to digitize the Reproductive Loan Fund records. They will be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

I know I'm nitpicking but the presenter would be much better off producing the show. A younger and more mic friendly presenter would improve things and give genealogy a fresher image.

Having said that the show is very welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Resurrecting this thread to say well done to Coolnabacky1873 - star of the most recent show!

No way to download individual shows so you need to listen on Mixcloud app or online. I tweeted Lorna about it but no response :(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Hate to be the naysayer but I haven't managed to listen to entire episode yet.
    I think the presentation is very poor.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Field and Quarto books have been digitized and index by FMP and are ready to go, they are just waiting on some NAI cataloging to be completed. He said there are 2.5 million names in these records, more than the main Griffith's collection. I think that will be another joint launch, free to access on FMP and NAI websites.

Are these online? Did this happen or not yet? :eek:

No. Claire had a report about these records last month.
    http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2015/02/digitisation-plans-for-griffiths.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

mod9maple wrote: »
    Are these online? Did this happen or not yet? :eek:

still in the pipeline - afaik there was a problem with indexing. (think pages in the originals were filed out of sequence)

• Advertisement

Shur, while I'm on this thread....self-promotion alert: I was interviewed on the show last Thursday about Irish genealogy in the U.S., if anyone is interested.
    https://www.mixcloud.com/raidiocorcabaiscinn/episode-6-series-2-joe-buggy-townlands-and-us-research/

Sorry Pinky, didn't see your post when I posted! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Shur, while I'm on this thread....self-promotion alert: I was interviewed on the show last Thursday about Irish genealogy in the U.S., if anyone is interested.

Emmmm...
    pinkypinky wrote: »
    Resurrecting this thread to say well done to Coolnabacky1873 - star of the most recent show!

:D

Advertisement