Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runner's knee - ideas for alternative form of exercise

Options
  • 11-09-2014 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭

Hello!

So it turns out I have runner's knee :( Was at my physical therapist this week and going back again next week so hopefully I'll be back up and running (unintentional pun by the way!) in no time.

Anyway, I need ideas of some good cardio exercise to do in the mean time. I want to keep up my level of fitness so that it's not to hard to get back into the swing of things when I'm able to. I already cycle every day so I don't count that. I'm a terrible swimmer, I'm a strong swimmer but just not very good at it so that's not the best idea for me. So I'm open to anything other than those two. Oh, something to strengthen my quads would be good but it's not essential because I can work on them with stretches if not.

I'd love to hear people's recommendations. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

cosmic wrote: »
    Hello!

So it turns out I have runner's knee :( Was at my physical therapist this week and going back again next week so hopefully I'll be back up and running (unintentional pun by the way!) in no time.

Anyway, I need ideas of some good cardio exercise to do in the mean time. I want to keep up my level of fitness so that it's not to hard to get back into the swing of things when I'm able to. I already cycle every day so I don't count that. I'm a terrible swimmer, I'm a strong swimmer but just not very good at it so that's not the best idea for me. So I'm open to anything other than those two. Oh, something to strengthen my quads would be good but it's not essential because I can work on them with stretches if not.

I'd love to hear people's recommendations. Thanks!

just cycle more and get some cycling specific training drills. Saying I cycle every day so I don't count that underrates and dismisses a fantastic resource.

5 x 5 minutes at 90% maxHR up towards the Masts from Ticknock carpark
    Single leg drills
    20 minutes TT efforts
    6 x 2 minutes 110% of that 20 minute effort pace

The list is endless.

cycle smarter.
    And take this opportunity to get better at swimming. you can't run so you have loads of spare time to get into a swimming class.

and what is runner's knee anyway???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Peterx wrote: »
    ...cycle smarter.
    And take this opportunity to get better at swimming...

...and what is runner's knee anyway???

Thanks so much for the reply.

I'm joining a gym next week on a trial so see if i like it. Would the rowing machine be any good? I'm fascinated by them.

My physical therapist explained in great detail what is going on inside my knee but it was all a bit much for me so I think she dumbed it down by saying 'runner's knee'. I'm pretty sure that's not the technical term!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I'm joining a gym next week on a trial so see if i like it. Would the rowing machine be any good? I'm fascinated by them.

My physical therapist explained in great detail what is going on inside my knee but it was all a bit much for me so I think she dumbed it down by saying 'runner's knee'. I'm pretty sure that's not the technical term!

It is the correct term. I've had it, you normally get it from running on a road with a camber so one leg has to travel further than the other and the muscle on the outside of the knee gets strained (i think anyway, it was a few years ago)

It is the correct term. I've had it, you normally get it from running on a road with a camber so one leg has to travel further than the other and the muscle on the outside of the knee gets strained (i think anyway, it was a few years ago)

Yes! All of this sounds familiar!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

The rowing machine is amazing. 2,000m timetrials and then getting your 2,000m time down is great training. And paintastic. Just make sure you get shown how to do the movement properly and have someone watch you do it for a few minutes to make sure you do it properly.
    The only two things I miss about being in a gym are the swimming pool and the rowing machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Rowing is great - I do two main things - intervals (shake it up, either timed slow/fast or distance slow/fast), I also have started doing routines that bring in a kettlebell, eg fast row 500m jump off do 50 KB swings, repeat as required, 4 or 5 sets is plenty! I don't get much time for the gym (lunchtimes) so I have other quick routines which you may be interested in...

50 KB Swings
    40 Box Jumps
    30 Push Ups
    20 Ball Slams
    10 Burpees

No rest in between exercises, repeat as required, 2-3 is loads!

Another is a dumbbell complex

Dumbell Front Squats * 6
    Dubmbell Lunge - both legs* 6
    Dumbell Bent over rows * 6
    Dumbell Curl and Press * 6

this is one set

I use 10 KGs or 12s if in the humour... do 5 or 6 sets and try not to drop the dumbells at all!

Good luck.

This is all great, thanks so much everyone!
    I'm actually feeling excited now - I had been feeling down about the time off running

Advertisement