Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Leaving Cert, not sure what to do

Options
  • 11-09-2014 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I've had medical issues since I was 12 and missed a lot of school over the years. I'm 17 now and will be 18 at the beginning of next year and I've got a Junior Cert to my name but no Leaving. I was thinking of going back (I'd have to go into 5th year because I was only in a couple of days when I was supposed to do it) but I had an operation three weeks ago and I won't be right for another while yet, so that rules going back out. I was already hesitant because I should have finished back in June. So now I'm not sure what to do. I've always wanted to work in IT and that's still my goal, but I also published a short story in July and I've been talking to some other authors I know about publishing a proper novel in the future, but I'm young and I know authors don't always make millions. So I'm not really sure what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Monk3

Well, what you would need to do is try your best at your leaving cert first.

Once you stick your head into it, its really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

why not go to your local newspaper and ask if they would give you work experience

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Trisha_H

Would they do that if I'm not actually in school?

Trisha_H wrote: »
    Would they do that if I'm not actually in school?

No harm in asking, the leaving cert in my experience is as useless as the paper most people get from university.
    Most places want people with experience.
    I had not that great of a leaving cert & not great in school either but worked my way up to a manager in a global company.
    Go in ask to speak to the boss see in they will take you on work experience....you'll probably make tea, photocopy etc for the first year or so but make sure your the best tea maker or photocopier in the world
    If the boss see's your enthusiastic & keen then if he's a good boss he'll give you a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Help!!!! wrote: »
    No harm in asking, the leaving cert in my experience is as useless as the paper most people get from university.
    Most places want people with experience.
    I had not that great of a leaving cert & not great in school either but worked my way up to a manager in a global company.
    Go in ask to speak to the boss see in they will take you on work experience....you'll probably make tea, photocopy etc for the first year or so but make sure your the best tea maker or photocopier in the world
    If the boss see's your enthusiastic & keen then if he's a good boss he'll give you a chance

This is terrible advice. OP, there are further education options available to you and once you hit 23, you can enter college as a mature student anyway.

A bit of work experience is a good idea and would look good on a CV but it is not a potential job for life like Help!!!! is saying.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice!

thelad95 wrote: »
    This is terrible advice. OP, there are further education options available to you and once you hit 23, you can enter college as a mature student anyway.

A bit of work experience is a good idea and would look good on a CV but it is not a potential job for life like Help!!!! is saying.

It's something I have considered. Also looking into FETAC and doing the LC through that, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Go for it :) The Leaving Cert and Uni (should you decide to go) will open so many doors for you. It's really impressive that you've managed to publish too - so you're obviously clever and hardworking. I'd go for it now whilst you're still young and motivated enough to do it. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

manager in a global company could be McDonald's.

thelad95 wrote: »

I'm not saying its a definite job for life.....The OP said they like writing so while she is waiting to see if she wants to go back & do her leaving cert as the school year has already started I suggested going to her local paper & getting work experience. To get a job sometimes you need to be in the right place at right time. The boss might give her a chance

• Advertisement

Mech1 wrote: »
    manager in a global company could be McDonald's.

& whats wrong with managing in mcdonalds?
    What do u do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

OP, talk to your local VEC/ETB - they offer alternative ways to the Leaving Cert. and college courses.

Or, you could make the decision to take this year off, work on your writing or IT skills and go back and start 5th year in September next year. You are far from the oldest person doing the Leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Help!!!! wrote: »
    I'm not saying its a definite job for life.....The OP said they like writing so while she is waiting to see if she wants to go back & do her leaving cert as the school year has already started I suggested going to her local paper & getting work experience. To get a job sometimes you need to be in the right place at right time. The boss might give her a chance

Although she is up against every English/Journalism/Media graduate looking for newspaper experience - and from looking at her CV they might assume her lack of a Leaving Cert shows something about her intelligence, ability and work ethic (not implying that she's lacking anything, but her illness won't be obvious on her CV and they might make a quick judgement based on what they see)

Honestly, I think telling her to try for newspaper experience and leave education is a bit optimistic :) Surely getting stuck into the cracking English LC course would be more fun and worthwhile?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, just pointing out that it's a very vague statement.

I am a qualified tradesman since you asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

A friend of mine dropped out of school in 5th year and has started UCD this year through an Adult Education Course. I'm not sure what they come out of that in the end - not sure if it's a certificate or a minor degree or what, but it could be worth looking into if sitting the Leaving is looking difficult for you.

I also agree with Help re work experience - especially if you can't get into a school/course for this academic year. Some places would still definitely take work experience students without being enrolled in a school/college and it would be a nice time filler for the year as well as getting experience in a field you're really interested in. It always looks good on a CV too.

Mech1 wrote: »
    I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, just pointing out that it's a very vague statement.

I am a qualified tradesman since you asked.

Yes its vague because I didn't want to say the companies name
    but anyway this is about a young lady looking for advice so lets not ruin her thread

Afroshack wrote: »
    Although she is up against every English/Journalism/Media graduate looking for newspaper experience - and from looking at her CV they might assume her lack of a Leaving Cert shows something about her intelligence, ability and work ethic (not implying that she's lacking anything, but her illness won't be obvious on her CV and they might make a quick judgement based on what they see)

Honestly, I think telling her to try for newspaper experience and leave education is a bit optimistic :) Surely getting stuck into the cracking English LC course would be more fun and worthwhile?

Yes but there's no harm in trying.....while shes deciding to do about education
    wheres the harm in her walking in and asking the question? Even if its not writing straight away, get her foot in the door

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Take a look at the DARE scheme. If you have an on-going serious illness you are likely to qualify http://accesscollege.ie/dare/index.php

Not alone will it help you get into college but it will provide you with supports when you get there.

Why not start a blog, showcasing your writing. And even set up your own website. These are the sort of things that will showcase what you can do. But you can do them in your own time on your own terms and you have control over your work.

Thank you for all the responses! I'm still looking into a few options and I plan to continue writing and hope to publish sometime next year.

Advertisement