Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving job and am owed annual leave

Options
  • 11-09-2014 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of leaving my current job. I've worked there for 8 years. I have over 30 annual leave days that I have been refused to take this year due to staff shortages etc.

I am wondering if I hand in my notice am I entitled to take this AL as pay in lieu or can my employer instruct me to take it rather than work a notice? I only have to work 4 weeks notice so that would still leave me with over 10 unused AL days.

Just wondering where I stand legally before I hand in my notice.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

They have to pay you what ever is left of your AL; if they got staff shortages chances are rather high that they would not want to make it even more severe by sending you on holidays during your notice period...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I am wondering if I hand in my notice am I entitled to take this AL as pay in lieu or can my employer instruct me to take it rather than work a notice? I only have to work 4 weeks notice so that would still leave me with over 10 unused AL days. .

As Nody said, they owe you 30 days one way or the other; and no matter what way you cut it, you'll be owed cash as it's not possible to take it all in your notice period.

For the notice period itself, it's their decision on whether it's used or not; there's no entitlement to be paid for it instead of taking the days off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

30 days seems an awful lot after nine months, that would be 40 days per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Or leave was carried over for the same reasons from last year

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Eoin wrote: »
    Or leave was carried over for the same reasons from last year
    Esp. for someone with 8 years there; I know at one work place some people kept on adding more days every year rolling over (poor management tend to make practices like that happen).

• Advertisement
Advertisement