Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hack 'n' Slash

Options
  • 11-09-2014 12:25pm

Anybody played this? It got a full release from early access a few days ago on Steam.

You can manipulate almost everything in the game by accessing the Lua code underneath of that entity. This can be very cool but often ends with the game crashing if you try anything complex. I have a background in programming so I'd love to hear how non-programmers find it. I personally couldn't put it down for hours, which is rare for a single player game to hold my attention for that long these days.

I flew through it but am stuck towards the end trying to deactivate a bomb!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Nice idea for kids to learn some coding, but it looks boring personally :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Really like the idea of this one. Might force the younger brothers into playing it. Get them interested in coding nice and early :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I remember hearing about this, must give it a whack actually

The puzzle I'm stuck at involves walking through an entire library of all the game's code to find a specific entity. The library is set up like a hierarchy of classes and subclasses. I found the entity I was looking for which is represented as a book in a bookcase. It has a a few different classes within it which required fiddling. I got tired and gave up :pac: Honestly I don't know how someone with zero programming background could do that one. I just think its all very clever. Its the first game I've seen to use programming in an accessible way as to not hinder the game play too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think I heard about something like this before. Wasn't there a game in the works in the style of a FPS?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Think I heard about something like this before. Wasn't there a game in the works in the style of a FPS?

Notch was making 0x10c, which was an FPS where you controlled a ship using actual coding language. It's been cancelled, though a fan version is in the works.

CastorTroy wrote: »

There was one using the unity engine called Code Hero. The demo was available a few years back. I don't think fps games lend to the idea as well. It gets too complex too quickly with the third dimension and restricted view.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, Code Hero is the one

Advertisement