Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Understanding Plywood

Options
  • 11-09-2014 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi i am a real Noob to the types of plywood :(

I am looking to make a new fence for my router table but have no clue in what plywood is the best to use, I am looking to be able to get a sheet that i can work with to do many jobs such as,

Jig making
    fence making
    and bookshelves coffee tables etc. which can be varnished or painted

If anybody can point me in the right direction of what time would be best for them projects it would be a huge help to me.

Many Many Thanks
    Wayne

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭jack of all

A good quality birch ply or a decent marine grade ply. Avoid cheap chinese-made WBP ply which is pretty rubbish for anything on account of the voids, adhesive failure and low quality veneers used in its manufacture.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭waynestledger

sorry to sound stupid but what is good marine ply and what would i ask for??

Again thank very much

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

sorry to sound stupid but what is good marine ply and what would i ask for??

Again thank very much

A good marine ply will have BS-1088 stamped on it, it will be made with a high resistant to water and have very clean surface with no knots or voids.

fergal.b wrote: »
    A good marine ply will have BS-1088 stamped on it, it will be made with a high resistant to water and have very clean surface with no knots or voids.

Thanks for the help, was just wondering could you explain what Hardwood faced plywood CE2+ means if you know, and would that be any good for what i need it for.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Thanks for the help, was just wondering could you explain what Hardwood faced plywood CE2+ means if you know, and would that be any good for what i need it for.
    Thanks

Hardwood faced should be ok the more layers in the plywood the better, CE2+ means it's structural strong but I have also seen cheep imported plywood with this stamp so go by your eye look for a good clean finish with no voids between the layers of ply.

• Advertisement

ok thanks very much for all the help from all. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

If you find nice multilayer ply let me know. The best is reckoned to be Norwegian but I believe some ply comes from the 'Baltic' states passed off as Norwegian.
    I don't think you need to shell out for marine ply - you are paying a premium for water resistance.
    If using the stuff for furniture let it dry for as long as possible. I have read about dining tables lifting their veneers after a few months as the moisture escapes through the joins in the veneer.
    I can't get the stuff locally but I can get thin 2.5 mm ply with a pine face and I glue it up in layers if I want to make things like children's toys etc. A touch of varnish and it finishes just like multi-ply.

Advertisement