Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Morzine

Options
  • 11-09-2014 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

High guys
    Starting to think about winter and have had two snowboard great trips to Morzine in the past two years. Thing is my crew happy to go back there but i would love to be able to convince them to go somewhere else in France, i don't want to spend any time in Les Gets or down the Pleney side.
    The thing is it would have to be similar pricewise and while no where is as big as porte de soleil somewhere with plenty of runs and side/off piste potential and short transfer too.

Any suggestions??
    The thing is we still would have a lot to explore on the Avoriaz side but i am conscious of getting a poor vis week and resorting to runs we've done before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

lbj666 wrote: »
    no where is as big as porte de soleil somewhere with plenty of runs and side/off piste potential and short transfer too.

Would have thought there's quite a few places as big as the porte de soleil tbh, 3 valleys is the first one that springs to mind, 600kms odd piste all directly linked, dolomites and ski welt are also big but spread out, maybe even slightly more than porte, there's a few other Austrian linked areas too

there's a website called jet 2 ski I think (do a google search) which lists resorts by distance from given airports which is handy. There are lots of resorts within 90 minutes of Munich for instance, which is reachable from Ireland by Ryanair and Aer Lingus

3v is about two and a half hours from Geneva I think. I went to Zillertal valley last year, about hour and a half from Munich, four resorts in the valley but its a drive between them, lots of side piste in Hochfugen / Kaltenbach. But there were literally loads of options near Munich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

a148pro wrote: »
    Would have thought there's quite a few places as big as the porte de soleil tbh, 3 valleys is the first one that springs to mind, .

That's the first place that came to my mind too.

OP - my story is pretty much the exact same as yours, our gang went to Morzine for about four years straight, it's a great place and I love it, but there comes a time when you have to move on! Anyway, we headed to the Three Valleys. We've been going there there for the last three years, fantastic place, you won't get bored of it. We stayed in a small old town called St. Martin de Belleville, which is almost off the main Three Valleys area, it takes two lifts to connect with the main network of runs. It's a grand village and accommodation is quite reasonable, but it can be fairly quiet at night. The woman who works in the Tabac/newsagents is lovely looking as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

cormee wrote: »
    The woman who works in the Tabac/newsagents is lovely looking as well.

This is key. Fattes will be on now to tell you which old lady in the ski rental store makes delicious homemade blackberry jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

a148pro wrote: »
    This is key. Fattes will be on now to tell you which old lady in the ski rental store makes delicious homemade blackberry jam.

One thing good about going back to morz is the new brew pub there. Makes heading for beers so much easier when you know your forking out €6 for good beer insted of generic piss like amstel. Savage grub too. Makes any lady in a tabac look hot. Sleep better too.

lbj666 wrote: »
    One thing good about going back to morz is the new brew pub there. Makes heading for beers so much easier when you know your forking out €6 for good beer insted of generic piss like amstel. Savage grub too. Makes any lady in a tabac look hot. Sleep better too.

Crepu, in Morzine, is a lovely puub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Come to Soll. I'm bleedin gorgeous hahaaaa :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Try The espace Killy or the trois valleys, both big resorts better Terran than the Porte du soleil, IMHO. Prices in espace Killy Tignes /Val D will be similar to what you are used to.

fannymagee wrote: »
    Come to Soll. I'm bleedin gorgeous hahaaaa :-)

Ah Fanny, we were trying to keep your magnificence secret. Soll will be overrun now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

cormee wrote: »
    Ah Fanny, we were trying to keep your magnificence secret. Soll will be overrun now.

Sure it's overrun already Cormee-overrun with AWESOMENESS!! And we don't even have a Tabac ;-)

Advertisement