Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions on returning to college

Options
  • 10-09-2014 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,
    I've recently decided to return to college in lyit. I was doing a level 8 in Applied Computing but I found that though I loved tge course it ws too difficult for me, so I decided tolook into my options as to trying college again. Thr two paths I'm deciding on is doing a level 5 in e-bussiness and a level 6 in bussiness administion in a VEC schoool before attempting the level 7 in computing with business applications.
    or
    Doing an Accelerated Certificate in science in computing, which starts the first semester at level 6 and goes straight into the level 7 I want to do, computing with business applications, in the second semester.
    thats tye backround,here are my questions:
    1:Any advice on which one
    2:will I recreive my grant again if I choose option 2?
    3:Because I'm now living away from home and hence an independent applicant will I receive the special rate of the grant.
    4:Is it possible that because my attentance in the course in my 2nd semester was very poor I will not receive the susi grant? (I didn't do well in the exams snd ahad already decided to repeat, bad idea I know)
    Thank You Very Much in advance
    Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Answers to theses questions are needed first:

What year to you first attend?
    What year did you last attend?
    How old are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 maxpower1535

Sup08 wrote: »

How old are you?
    First Attended last year, 2013/2014
    Last attended the same year
    l'll be twenty one in December

How old are you?
    First Attended last year, 2013/2014
    Last attended the same year
    l'll be twenty one in December

So because you attended the 2nd semester, I am assuming you attended (or regardless of actual attendance) the full year.

You may be eligible for the maintenance part of the grant if you attend a PLC course (5 or 6).

But unless you take a break of 5 years from studies, where the course leads to a major award on the NFQ, you will still have to do a period of study when you enter an undergraduate course at first year (level 6, 7 or 8).

You will also be classed as dependent upon you parents until you take a break from studies for 3 years and reach the age of 23 on the 1st of January of the entry or re-entry year to undergraduate studies.

Hope this helps.

1:Any advice on which one
    It's really up to you, but choose what you really want to do as a career. Don't waste time on a course that you are just doing to get a grant.
    2:will I recreive my grant again if I choose option 2?
    No, you may only be eligible for a grant when you are progressing, therefore you must be entering year 2 of an undergraduate course. If you have not started year 2 of an undergraduate course, you may be eligible for a PLC course.
    3:Because I'm now living away from home and hence an independent applicant will I receive the special rate of the grant.
    You are not eligible to be assessed as an independent, irrespective or your current residence or marital status. You have to be over 23 at your point of entry to your undergraduate course or re-entry after 3 years of no study.
    4:Is it possible that because my attentance in the course in my 2nd semester was very poor I will not receive the susi grant? (I didn't do well in the exams snd ahad already decided to repeat, bad idea I know)
    If you are able to attend 2nd year, you may be eligible for a grant, but if you are repeating first year or any part for 14/15, you are not.

• Advertisement

One more thing.

Have you tried to gain advanced entry to a new course.

This means, based on your previous year at level 8 or life experience, you may be allowed to enter year 2 of another Undergraduate Course at Level 6 or 7.

If you did gain advanced entry, you may be eligible for a grant.

One more thing.

This means, based on your previous year at level 8 or life experience, you may be allowed to enter year 2 of another Undergraduate Course at Level 6 or 7.

Okay, so just to clarify if I did a level 6 in an institute of technology (not a plc), I would qualify for a maintaince grant, in year two, regardless of the fact that i previously did a level 8?
    I'm not doing the course just for the grant but the finance is a major factor:/

One more thing.

Okay, so just to clarify if I did a level 6 in an institute of technology (not a plc), I would qualify for a maintaince grant, in year two, regardless of the fact that i previously did a level 8?
    I'm not doing the course just for the grant but the finance is a major factor:/

When you enter 2nd year of an undergraduate course you may be entitled to a grant, Once you meet all the other criteria.
    Your period of study is for 1 year (1st Year) of any undergraduate course. The level (6,7,8) is not relevant, just the period you have already studied.

If you went to an undergraduate level 6 this year, after completing 1 year of a level 8 with no qualification, you will not got any funding for the first year of your level 6, but once the one year is over, you may be eligible for all your future undergraduate education as long as you are progressing.
    This means you would be progressing like this to be eligible to apply for funding:
    level 6 (year 1 of 2)
    level 6 (year 2 of 2) ok,
    level 7 (year 1 of 1 add-on) ok,
    level 8 (Year 1 of 1 add-on) ok OR (year 1 of 3, year 2 of 3, year 3 of 3)

There a maximum periods of study at these levels also.
    for 6 and 7 together, it is a maximum of 4 years.
    for 8 is a maximum of 4 years also, but you have already used 1 year at level 8 and therefore you would have only 3 years left at this level to apply for funding should you do a course that is more than an add-on when you reach that level.

Okay, Thank you very much:), You've been very helpful:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement