Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2007 VW Golf 1.4L

Options
  • 10-09-2014 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I'm looking at buying a 2007 vw golf mk5 1.4 tsi 140ps around 100k miles or less. I've done a lot of research online and it seems a number of people report serious problems with the timing chain which can cause engine damage and be very expensive. I'm finding it hard to judge whether the people posting online are a small minority or if the reported problems should be enough to put me off buying this car/engine altogether. Any comments would be appreciated especially from anyone who owns this car. Thanks :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

General consensus around here would be to avoid. They are notoriously troublesome.

What's wrong with a regular GTI?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 cork93

Thanks, I'm 21 so insurance on a gti isn't an option where as I can get cover on the 1.4 tsi for €560 which is about as low as I'm going to get on any car give or take a few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

cork93 wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm 21 so insurance on a gti isn't an option where as I can get cover on the 1.4 tsi for €560 which is about as low as I'm going to get on any car give or take a few euro.

Go for the 122bhp version, it's more reliable overall.

Advertisement