Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC Build - 600-700

Options
  • 10-09-2014 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi Guys,

I have done a fair bit of lurking so I know that you are generally a helpful bunch. I am looking at getting a new PC. Its main function will be gaming and some work related stuff (photoshop and other application).

However I am not too fussed on viewing pure eye candy. I need a reasonable spec. machine, but I want to future proof it. I have a limited budget but will be using a lot of components from an existing build. Existing system has been upgraded over the years but is starting to fall over a lot. It is 8 years old and time to put the old girl out to pasture methinks.

Anyway any suggestions would be welcome.....

1. What is your budget? [€600-700]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming workstation]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes see below.
    [4 no. hard drive all 1TB, Hitachi and samsung eSata]
    [1 no. 120GB Crucial SSD]
    [1 generic DVD]
    [6GB of RAM Kingston]
    [2 no. Samsung Mointors]
    [Mouse, Keyboard]
    [Video Card Sapphire RADEON HD 7850 2GB GDDR5] Dont want to really upgrade this yet

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [N/A]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1200] [N/A]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Yes - USB HUB - I have everything else]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes - In the future]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card]

9. When are you purchasing? [about 1 week]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Maybe. I am based in Dublin so if you want to give me a price I would appreciate it]

Some other Wish list items.
    Should I consider a modular PSU or hybrid. Not too sure of the output I will need as I will be hooking up all those HDD. Maybe someone can help.
    Also looking for a MB that is water cooler compatible. I want it quite.
    I will need a new CASE. Want a fairly cool looking one if possible.

So in essence I need
    A good processor
    RAM
    PSU (Hybrid if possible)
    CASE
    Motherboard
    ASSEMBLY (Maybe)

I know the budget is pretty tight but let me know what you can come up with guys.

Thanks in advance.

Thaum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Hi, are you looking to house all those HDD's internally? What power connections do they use if so? Molex/Sata?

You can get sata-esata converter cables and molex/sata splitters anyway.

You would need 6 sata slots if you are connecting all internally which would use all connections on the majority of socket 1150 boards. A more expensive one will have 8. You can always add a pci-sata card in future if you need more.

Case and board chosen for your HDD requirements. Case comes in 3 colors, windowed or non windowed. Have a look on the site. PSU has 4 molex, 6 sata power. You can split these if you need more. Case can hold 8 HDD's as well and has sound dampening material.

€100 leftover if you want to upgrade to an i7 or improve the cooling. There is need for the i7 for gaming but if you think you need it for work then it's an option. -edit- I forgot you needed windows. You can buy cheap windows 7/8 license keys online if you look around. Full retail copy from HWVS is around €85.

Prices got using geizhals.de to get a discount on hardwareversnd. Delivery is €12. They have a build option for €30 as well but I'd be wary of using that as it's coming from Germany and I don't trust couriers.

321708.png

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Thaum1

Hi Bloodbath. Wow. Thanks for all the work. Selections seem good. In response to your questions....

HDD are all SATA
    Ideally I would want to house them all. But not required as I have a docking station.

If I was building myself will the components come with all the necessary connections etc.
    Can I avail of that discount.

I think I might go for the I7 and water cooled. Suggestions?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Hi no problem.

I meant to say no need for the i7 for gaming. The i5 will perform identically in the majority of games. The i7 is only needed if you want better workstation performance if you use CPU demanding programs a lot. That i5 can also be overclocked to around 4.3 - 4.5ghz which will give a nice performance boost.

All of the components will come with the connections you need yes. You will need additional sata cables for all of your drives. The motherboard will come with 2. Make sure to use a sata3 cable for your ssd. The board will also come with 1-2 sata power splitters.

I'd say watercooling would be overkill. Get a better air cooler if you want better acoustics. The graphics card will be the loudest component anyway and once it's quiet enough you start hearing the HDD's so it's never going to be totally quiet but the case will help.

This is new and outperforms the 212 evo for around the same price. Great performance for the price and close to all in 1 water cooling units in noise and temps. If you aren't overclocking right away you can reduce the fan speed to make it virtually silent.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsps?adp=0&aid=158618&agid=669&apop=0

Yes you can avail of the discount. Just go to geizhals.de, search for each part individually and select hardwareversand from the list of sellers, add to card on hardwareversand, repeat for each part.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Thaum1

Thanks again bloodbath. I think I will go with the i5 then. I am still torn, but I think I can live with it. As for water-cooling I think you are right I can always upgrade at a later date in any event

Cheers. I will let you know how I get on.

Advertisement