Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civic Buildings to wed in Galway

Options
  • 10-09-2014 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Looking to see if anyone has any suggestions on this.

I know museums in Dublin and the Hunt museum in Limerick offer space to get married so I contacted the Galway City Museum to see if they offered the same. They don't. I was kind of surprised. Then when I tried to think of other places to have the ceremony in Galway (besides a room in a hotel) I'm coming up with no answers! Pretty disappointing for such a great city.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Fluxfan

How about contacting NUIG maybe? (I'm not sure but there are some nice locations around there).

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ruadh

Ya, I've a friend asking someone they know that works there because on their website, they just offer the chapel on the grounds, which I don't want. A room in Aul Maxima would be lovely but I'm doubtful when they don't mention it under 'Weddings' on their website :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Aliwee Caves

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ruadh

Interesting idea but not an option for us as it's in Clare and the travel to a reception venue (we want to be either in the same venue for ceremony & reception or else very short journey)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,842 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, its kinda not surprising that a provincial town of 75k has less civic buildings than a city of 1.5M people. Remember that we need to put up a tent to be the main arts festival venue each year.

I don't think either of City Hall or County Hall foyers are particularly grand or suitable - and I've not heard of them renting out the council chambers.

Try contacting the university anyway: they let Arlua Maxima for all sorts of things (concerts etc), have possibly just never considered weddings.

If you wanted to make a real performance of it, you could try a theatre? I think they are pretty pricy though ... maybe the Youth Theatre on Nuns Island is cheaper, if it's large enough - contact them thru the Town Hall Theatre.

Other than that, you're probably looking at a function room in a hotel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement