Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dictionary Corner!

Options
  • 10-09-2014 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭

OK, so I've been writing on and off for a while and one of the things I've noticed is that I have quite a limited vocabulary. Now I know I'm never going to be Stephen Fry but I'm trying to improve this, I've started taking down new words, words that I've always had trouble with (I still get confused between practice and practise), and words I knew but was never quite sure if I was using correctly in a notepad. I've also downloaded one of those word games apps to help me exercise my vocabulary.

Another idea I had was maybe starting a thread here for other CW Boardies to share new words, because I can't be the only one with this problem and learning a few new words can never be a bad thing. This could fall flat on its face but I'll get the ball rolling (to muddle my metaphors).

Nescient (adjective)
    lacking knowledge, ignorant
    (I learnt this one through Boards when someone accused me of being so)

Sententious (adj)
    given to moralising in a pompous or affected manner
    (again, this was flung at me in AH)

Millstone (noun)
    a heavy & inescapable responsibility
    (I used to always think people were mispronouncing and completely misusing 'milestone')

Advertisement