Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL OL English Advice

Options
  • 09-09-2014 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Thought I can get a much more audience,especially those doing LC right now to help me. Anyone can give me advice on whether to take on HL English or not.
    I am doing All HL apart from Italian which I dropped down this year, as I have no interest in doing a course to do with languages.
    If I am not interested in any journalism or those kind of courses would you recommend me to do O level as I am not planning to consider English or Italian as part of my 6 subjects, in fact I will be doing very little study of them.
    Will I have any drawbacks with doing O Level English and Italian in the future for career wise or courses apart from those journalism and languages ??
    English
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Business
    Italian (O)
    Home:
    Ag Science
    Economics

I was told in the 5th year forum that employers would not be not that satisfied with an ordinary level English on my CV or paper etc.
    But I def think I can reach C1 and above in O level English easily.
    In my JC I done HL, I done none and I mean none of the studied questions in p2 and none of the media qs. and I ended up with a D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

In my JC I done HL, I done none and I mean none of the studied questions in p2 and none of the media qs. and I ended up with a D.

Well there's your problem :pac:

I kid, I kid.

Honestly employers don't care what you got in your leaving cert, once you can satisfy university matriculation requirements and you're happy doing 9 subjects you shouldn't have any issues. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Magnate wrote: »
    Well there's your problem :pac:

I kid, I kid.

Honestly employers don't care what you got in your leaving cert, once you can satisfy university matriculation requirements and you're happy doing 9 subjects you shouldn't have any issues. ;)

It is just that I have no desire or passion to learn English or languages.
    I find no benefit or interest in those subjects.
    Hence the reason it is so hard for me to study English.
    I am actually doing 8 subjects :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

It is just that I have no desire or passion to learn English or languages.
    I find no benefit or interest in those subjects.
    Hence the reason it is so hard for me to study English.
    I am actually doing 8 subjects :p

Ah right, whoops I just seen a list with 9 lines, didn't realise one was just "home:" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

I was kinda in the same position last year, I knew english would be my worst subject but my pride got the better of me and I put in hours of study and stressed myself out over it. I came out with a B2 but I still didnt count it for points and I regret putting so much time into it.
    That said, I wouldnt drop to OL, I'd say stick to HL with minimal effort and you will definitely scrape the pass, paper 1 is easy enough to bluff and so long as you make an attempt at the questions on paper 2 you should be fine.

Advertisement