Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a good tv to buy for pc gaming

Options
  • 09-09-2014 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi lads, i'm probably not in the right section so feel free to bump this thread.
    Just would like to know if it is possible to buy a tv around 40 - 50 inches in size which can display above 60 fps with v-sync on in game settings?
    I've done alot searches on google but i'm still none the wiser.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

As far as I can tell there aren't any. All the TV's that advertise numbers over 60 Hz are doing frame interpolation to generate extra frames. They don't actually take anything over 60 Hz as input. For example, they might generate an extra 'fake' frame between each real frame to turn 60 Hz inputs into 120 Hz display. Not what you want for computer games. TVs also tend to have more lag than gaming monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Splender1

Luck100 wrote: »
    As far as I can tell there aren't any. All the TV's that advertise numbers over 60 Hz are doing frame interpolation to generate extra frames. They don't actually take anything over 60 Hz as input. For example, they might generate an extra 'fake' frame between each real frame to turn 60 Hz inputs into 120 Hz display. Not what you want for computer games. TVs also tend to have more lag than gaming monitors.

Thanks for that, good to know. Out of curiosity, what would be the biggest sized monitor you can buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It is possible with large 120hz active 3d tv's.

They need to do 120hz to display 60fps in 3d.

You need to unlock/overclock the refresh rate through your graphics card to get it working with the pc and it only works with certain tv's.

You will need a program to do that. More info here.

http://www.blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-pc-to-tv/

A list of TV's that support 120hz, only some do 1080p. I think they need to have at least HDMI 1.4 to be able to do it at 1080p. You obviously need the right cable then as well and your graphics card has to support it.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1438092-list-hdtv-s-120hz-native-refresh-ability-forcing-1080p-120hz-via-dvi-hdmi-computer.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Have to say i do laugh when i see refresh rates advertised as high as 400hz on some TV's

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Splender1

EoinHef wrote: »
    Have to say i do laugh when i see refresh rates advertised as high as 400hz on some TV's

I saw one today saying 1000hz ! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Ask the richersounds guys in the talk to forum, they are genuine and might be able to recommend something based on your requirements

Advertisement