Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New website - SEO query

Options
  • 09-09-2014 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi,

I am creating a new website in work via Wix as its quick and easy use. I dont have the time to spend on wordpress etc. Anyway, I have a query re SEO.

I did work on our current sites SEO previously which now has a good ranking. With Wix, SEO is straight forward (as I did it before for a separate website).

Once my Wix site is complete and I transfer the domain over (i.e. the new site is live on the current web address) will I lose the SEO ranking? I know it'll take 2-3 months for the new sites SEO to 'kick in' etc.. but should the old sites rank still allow the website to be seen once someone searches for X and Y. Currently we are number one & two on a few key things which I don't want to lose but the site is ****e and needs updating!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you change your website's layout and the pages ie. the links are different and you don't redirect the old pages to the new ones you'll lose most of your "rank"

ie. if you current site has domain.tld/product.html and the new site has domain.tld/product.aspx then the old link will throw a 404 unless you "tell" Google et al where the page has moved

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

Thanks for your help, is this something your company can assist with as I'd rather pass on the responsibility of this to someone who know what they're doing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I can't recall seeing a wix site with good SEO. It's also poor value given the price and other factors like no proper email hosting. My usual and strong advice is get off wix as soon as possible. WordPress is far superior and better value and is definitely worth investing more time in as it can give a much better cost/benefit for your company.

dricko_lim wrote: »
    Thanks for your help, is this something your company can assist with as I'd rather pass on the responsibility of this to someone who know what they're doing!

Sorry but it's not a service we provide, as a lot of our clients are web developers, designers and SEO companies.

No worries, thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 fortjames

Anyone in Cork please pm me as i want to start an online blogging, article business to have a passive income

fortjames wrote: »
    Anyone in Cork please pm me as i want to start an online blogging, article business to have a passive income

What's this got to do with this thread???

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fortjames

Blacknight wrote: »
    What's this got to do with this thread???

Ok, dont bite man, i was not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭adamrooney

Hi,

I am creating a new website in work via Wix as its quick and easy use. I dont have the time to spend on wordpress etc. Anyway, I have a query re SEO.

I did work on our current sites SEO previously which now has a good ranking. With Wix, SEO is straight forward (as I did it before for a separate website).

Once my Wix site is complete and I transfer the domain over (i.e. the new site is live on the current web address) will I lose the SEO ranking? I know it'll take 2-3 months for the new sites SEO to 'kick in' etc.. but should the old sites rank still allow the website to be seen once someone searches for X and Y. Currently we are number one & two on a few key things which I don't want to lose but the site is ****e and needs updating!

Thanks in advance

Stay away from Wix if your updating or creating your new website. WP has some excellent new themes (Web 3.0) that will be much better for your SEO in the long run. You don't need to spend much time on your WP site, it is in fact much easier to use than Wix. Think of your business and what your website says about your business ie. first impression. In all honestly if I came across a business and their website was built with Wix I would not purchase from them or do business with them, and I know i'm not alone in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

adamrooney wrote: »
    Stay away from Wix if your updating or creating your new website. WP has some excellent new themes (Web 3.0) that will be much better for your SEO in the long run. You don't need to spend much time on your WP site, it is in fact much easier to use than Wix. Think of your business and what your website says about your business ie. first impression. In all honestly if I came across a business and their website was built with Wix I would not purchase from them or do business with them, and I know i'm not alone in that.

Amen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 1sky

Hi,

Wordpress has one of the biggest support communities across the internet. Alot faster, alot easier and google like wordpress. Alot easier to work on too!!

SEO will be straightforwad with wordpress too

Thanks in advance

Yes you will lose rankings more than likely as the site structure along with the internal linking structure will be different so you could possibly drop in the rankings. This could stabilise though over time and rankings will be recovered but it is possible you may never recover. The other thing is wix sites can be very slow to load and as google now look at page speed as a ranking factor this will not be in your favour. As mentioned elsewhere 301 redirects will need to be put in place as well. Sounds like your a wix fan anyway so best of luck with the move. Oh and make sure to keep all those tags the same as well this will help with keeping your rankings for those keywords.

Thanks for all the advice, wordpress is the way to go so!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭adamrooney

Yeah I would prob go with Wordpress. A site built on Wordpress is much more likely to have a higher Trust Flow & Citation Flow score (or certainly easier to attain) than a site built on Wix - in the new age of Google, this is very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭rusnakova

Also, if you are moving from wix to wordpress, to save some time, this website could be useful: cms2cms.com - they will basically move all content from the old website to the new one. I guess worth checking them out.

Advertisement