Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CANNOT GET FITTER

Options
  • 09-09-2014 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi iv been training recently for a 6 mile run that im doing in october.im up to 5 miles without stopping but i do it very slowly about 10 mins per mile,my breathing is very heavy and i sweat alot,i dont seem to be getting any fitter or faster.i have only taken up running about 3 weeks ago.i have tried breathing in through nose out mouth etc but cant manage it.i am very unfit with a bit of a gut and i would like to get fit and improve my time.any help would be greatly appreciated

any good 2 votes

excellent
    0% 0 votes
    good
    100% 2 votes
    bad
    0% 0 votes
    horrid
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

I would concentrate more on your diet and losing that bit of a gut rather then the fitness side of things.
    You are probably running too fast for your current fitness level which is why your breathing is all over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Gonna take time i'm afraid.

Keep at it, run more, run slower and you'll see improvements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

skelping wrote: »
    Hi iv been training recently for a 6 mile run that im doing in october.im up to 5 miles without stopping but i do it very slowly about 10 mins per mile,my breathing is very heavy and i sweat alot,i dont seem to be getting any fitter or faster.i have only taken up running about 3 weeks ago.i have tried breathing in through nose out mouth etc but cant manage it.i am very unfit with a bit of a gut and i would like to get fit and improve my time.any help would be greatly appreciated

Does 10 min/mile feel very 'slow' as you put it? Judging by how it makes you feel I'd say you're running pretty much flat-out at that pace? 10min/mile might be slow if you can run a 7 min/mile fairly easily but it's certainly not very slow for someone who's only been running 3 weeks!
    I think you have to slow down the effort you're putting into it a lot. Sounds like you're not enjoying it at all so it'll be hard to keep it up if you're killing yourself on every run.
    As the others said, lose the weight slowly and slow down and you'll find it a lot more enjoyable.
    I think most people breath in through their mouth and their nose when running. You need to give yourself as much oxygen as you can and you mightn't get enough just through your nose.
    No harm to follow a training plan. Lots to be found online.
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 skelping

yes i enjoy it when im finished the run(i feel incredible) but when im actually running i hate it.thanks for your advice

yes i enjoy it when im finished the run(i feel incredible) but when im actually running i hate it.thanks for your advice

'The Secret' is to find a way to enjoy it when you're actually doing it;)
    Then you'll be a runner for life:)
    For most people starting out, the key is to slow down, forget about the pace and run at a nice easy relaxed effort. Then when you're a bit more experienced you can start working on your speed by doing faster intervals or fartlek (google it).
    Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

You are doing remarkably well to be able to run 5 miles only 3 weeks after starting running so your not that unfit. As others said slow it do and improve the diet. How often are you running?

SamforMayo wrote: »
    You are doing remarkably well to be able to run 5 miles only 3 weeks after starting running so your not that unfit. As others said slow it do and improve the diet. How often are you running?

Yeah meant to say that too! It took me a few months to be able to run 5 miles!!! Pretty impressive!

im running every second day slowly building it up from two miles originally.im shattered after the five.thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

What's the poll for?

sorry im new to this thought I had to fill it in should be gone by 2moro

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    What's the poll for?

I love a good old poll myself:p
    3 other people voted:D all for 'horrid'!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

sorry im new to this thought I had to fill it in should be gone by 2moro

No problem, just curious!
    Ososlo wrote: »

TMI! :P

HAHA BRILLIANT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

im running every second day slowly building it up from two miles originally.im shattered after the five.thanks for the advice

That's good but don't do the 5 every time you go out,make sure to mix it up with shorter easier runs and then one day a week add a little to your 5 miles so you will eventually have covered the distance before your race. Go as slow as you want. The main thing is if you stick at it you will definitely get fitter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Run slower and do the full 6 miles without stopping, you're already doing great for 3 weeks running, keep it up. Focus on distance, not speed to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Breath through your mouth. Don't get out of breath, most running should be at easy conversational pace. Run more. Follow a plan. Bridge to 10k program might suit you. Start a log.

Keep all that up and this time next year you'll be fit as a violin.

@Tar how the hell are you man? Doing much running yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

:D

so im just back from my run and I took yere advice and did it at a slower pace,and I did a far better run my breathing was more controlled and I was more relaxed still sweating like a pig but I wont worry about that.im not totally wreaked either,thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Great stuff skelping. Don't worry about the sweating, I sweat like a pig just throwing on the gear....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

so im just back from my run and I took yere advice and did it at a slower pace,and I did a far better run my breathing was more controlled and I was more relaxed still sweating like a pig but I wont worry about that.im not totally wreaked either,thanks for the help.

It took me 7 months to be able to run 10 k , I sweat a lot too , I use a wrist sweatband to wipe my forehead every so often, sweat in the eyes stings.

Keep at it and you have to get fitter,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The Muppet wrote: »
    It took me 7 months to be able to run 10 k , I sweat a lot too , I use a wrist sweatband to wipe my forehead every so often, sweat in the eyes stings.

Keep at it and you have to get fitter,

exactly the reason why I almost always wear a hat or a buff

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

Two years in and I still look like I'm after legging it from a bank robbery, and that's after a half mile. Sweating is the body's way of getting some of the crap out. At least you're not getting the runs!! That treat awaits you for longer distances :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Breath through your mouth. Don't get out of breath, most running should be at easy conversational pace. Run more. Follow a plan. Bridge to 10k program might suit you. Start a log.

Keep all that up and this time next year you'll be fit as a violin.

@Tar how the hell are you man? Doing much running yourself?

Ah not that much, I started the c25k and skipped to the end haha but running outside was really **** on my legs (stupid fallen arches!). Do some running as part of my gym program now and hope to do more soon.

You do much? I'll have to go back outside at some point but feck the pain for now.

@shergar22 haha ,ya im the same I was running last night and people must have thought I was after running a record breaking marathon with the amount of sweat on me .I only did a few miles lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Fair play, 3 weeks isnt long but it sounds like you are doing well at it so far. 10min/mile is not a shabby pace at all. Id agree with the "train for distance, then speed" mantra. I think theres a psychological boost when you know you can complete the distance.

Maybe try more hills on your shorter runs. (Doesnt have to be crazy steep btw.) A few years back I started into trail running and found it made a small, yet tangible improvement to my speed when I started to plateau speed - wise. It can be heavy on the knees going down but great training going uphill.

Other things that I felt helped me with the running:
    - Doing races (i worked harder in these than any training session from home), They can be great craic as well. Nothing like a good crowd cheering all the runners.
    - Diet (+ I found not eating for at least 1.5hrs before runs meant my energy felt less zapped while running).
    - Lighter runners. I went from lead weigh asics (330grams) to Brooks T5s (185grams) and this helped (approx 45 secs saving over 10km) although the Brooks T5 doesnt have much cushioning so may be hard on the knees etc. A good running shop can recommend for you.
    - Doing training I enjoy. Usually involved different run routes, distances, day and night runs, off road etc). Keep it interesting.

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Fair play, 3 weeks isnt long but it sounds like you are doing well at it so far. 10min/mile is not a shabby pace at all. Id agree with the "train for distance, then speed" mantra. I think theres a psychological boost when you know you can complete the distance.

Maybe try more hills on your shorter runs. (Doesnt have to be crazy steep btw.) A few years back I started into trail running and found it made a small, yet tangible improvement to my speed when I started to plateau speed - wise. It can be heavy on the knees going down but great training going uphill.

Other things that I felt helped me with the running:
    - Doing races (i worked harder in these than any training session from home), They can be great craic as well. Nothing like a good crowd cheering all the runners.
    - Diet (+ I found not eating for at least 1.5hrs before runs meant my energy felt less zapped while running).
    - Lighter runners. I went from lead weigh asics (330grams) to Brooks T5s (185grams) and this helped (approx 45 secs saving over 10km) although the Brooks T5 doesnt have much cushioning so may be hard on the knees etc. A good running shop can recommend for you.
    - Doing training I enjoy. Usually involved different run routes, distances, day and night runs, off road etc). Keep it interesting.
    great advice thank you

So 'horrid' wins 9 to 2.
    That was an interesting poll!

Fecking weirdoes voting for nothing:D:D:D me included!

So 'horrid' wins 9 to 2.
    That was an interesting poll!

Fecking weirdoes voting for nothing:D:D:D me included!

I voted excellent lol

I voted excellent lol

ha ha

You should start a training log. Great way to get ongoing advice and stay motivated by logging all your training.

• Advertisement

ha ha

You should start a training log. Great way to get ongoing advice and stay motivated by logging all your training.
    Can you do this on boards????

Advertisement