Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lactulose Breath testing for IBS

Options
  • 09-09-2014 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you who suffer from IBS have had lactulose breath testing done?

The reason I ask is that I had my breath tested in completely unrelated circumstances about three weeks ago. I was at a conference, and some academics had a display relating to their research on methane production. They were looking for volunteers to take a breath test, which would form part of the results of their experiment (The research was not related to health, it was a separate issue). Anyway, I turned out to be in the top five highest methane producers out of hundreds tested that day. Apparently, only roughly 1 in 3 people produces methane at all.

So, I thought it was kind of interesting, but there was no mention of this being possibly connected to digestion issues as the research wasn't in that area. I intended to look into possible connections between methane and IBS when I got home but forgot about it until now. I'm having a really bad flare at the moment, so I remembered the conference and googled it. Turns out there may well be a connection (especially in IBS-C sufferers, of which I'm one). Not only that, but there's a lactulose breath test to check for hydrogen and methane production. I'd never heard of this before, and I'm kind of excited, as it's being discussed in journal articles, etc., and there appears to be some evidence of a connection.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has had this done or discussed it with their doctor? I can't guage how common it is in Ireland, or if it's mainly something that gets done in the States. I don't even know if it's something most gastroenterologists are aware of, or put any store by. I'm seeing my consultant in a couple of weeks so will talk to him about it then, but I'd love to know if it's something any other suffers have come across previously!

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I looked into it before, seems like it can't be done in Ireland (from my research anyway - let me know if yours turns up anything)

It's common in the US and is used to diagnose Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth or SIBO, which is strongly implicated in IBS symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

I looked into it before, seems like it can't be done in Ireland (from my research anyway - let me know if yours turns up anything)

It's common in the US and is used to diagnose Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth or SIBO, which is strongly implicated in IBS symptoms.

Saw my consultant last week and it actually is possible to get it done. He's said he'll send me to the Mercy Hospital in Cork for it in the future if I still want it, but he kind of convinced me not to bother doing it just yet. He seems to think that I will show up for high methane, but that it's not of any great use in terms of a diagnosis. Apparently for C symptoms, antibiotics don't work - or at least they do, but only short term, and he maintains that it'd be better to try and fix it through diet and laxatives first... Not sure if I did the right thing by going along with him, but he has a great reputation so hopefully he's correct on this. I'm back to gluten-free now for a few months (having done it before but in conjunction with dairy and sugar-free so it was kind of hard to tell on reintroduction what the culprits were if any). If that doesn't help we'll revisit it. I know it's not just gluten though as some fruit and veg really give me horrific cramps. Anyway, I'm rambling, sorry!

Piglet85 wrote: »
    Saw my consultant last week and it actually is possible to get it done. He's said he'll send me to the Mercy Hospital in Cork for it in the future if I still want it, but he kind of convinced me not to bother doing it just yet. He seems to think that I will show up for high methane, but that it's not of any great use in terms of a diagnosis. Apparently for C symptoms, antibiotics don't work - or at least they do, but only short term, and he maintains that it'd be better to try and fix it through diet and laxatives first... Not sure if I did the right thing by going along with him, but he has a great reputation so hopefully he's correct on this. I'm back to gluten-free now for a few months (having done it before but in conjunction with dairy and sugar-free so it was kind of hard to tell on reintroduction what the culprits were if any). If that doesn't help we'll revisit it. I know it's not just gluten though as some fruit and veg really give me horrific cramps. Anyway, I'm rambling, sorry!

A New IBS Solution by Dr. Pimental has a recommendations for antibiotics for methane producers.

I'd recommend one thing that helped me greatly before you try that though, and that's krill oil, one cap with every meal, I have D but apparently it helps in both C and D.

It's cheap, safe and works quickly (if it will at all - within days) so it's worth a try before embarking on anything more severe. (I also presume you've been told about the fodmaps diet etc?)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

Oh that's great, thanks! Could I ask what strength Krill oil capsules you're taking? Will definitely try that.

I've had symptoms for going on three years now, but only got referred earlier this year. I know it sounds mad but I actually haven't done Low Fodmap. My GP got me to try various other exclusion diets along the way, but told me to hold off on Low Fodmap until I spoke to a gastroenterologist. And since I've started seeing him, he wanted do all a number of tests first. Now he's got me on gluten-free to begin with, as apparently he thinks I may have a severe gluten intolerance... I know gluten doesn't suit me, but as I said, I definitely have issues with other foods too, so I'm not so sure. I'm kind of sorry now I didn't do Low Fodmap earlier, because I've a feeling it'll come down to that soon anyway! Thanks for the advice, as you know, anything and everything is worth a try.

Oh that's great, thanks! Could I ask what strength Krill oil capsules you're taking? Will definitely try that.

I've had symptoms for going on three years now, but only got referred earlier this year. I know it sounds mad but I actually haven't done Low Fodmap. My GP got me to try various other exclusion diets along the way, but told me to hold off on Low Fodmap until I spoke to a gastroenterologist. And since I've started seeing him, he wanted do all a number of tests first. Now he's got me on gluten-free to begin with, as apparently he thinks I may have a severe gluten intolerance... I know gluten doesn't suit me, but as I said, I definitely have issues with other foods too, so I'm not so sure. I'm kind of sorry now I didn't do Low Fodmap earlier, because I've a feeling it'll come down to that soon anyway! Thanks for the advice, as you know, anything and everything is worth a try.

I've had it going on 10 years, it really is a diagnosis of elimination unfortunately. I used to think I didn't digest gluten properly but then realised it was actually the fructans in wheat that was causing the bloating and cramps and when I did low fodmap (super strict, not even a bite of anything off plan) as onions and garlic did the same thing.

But when I'm having a really bad flare up I'll react to everything, and when I'm good then I can eat onions and garlic (might get a twinge from them but nothing severe).

I came across Krill oil by accident, something I was reading about mentioned that inflammation is a possible root cause for both IBS-C and IBS-D. Krill oil is anti-inflammatory and I had it to hand so gave it a go. Within two days everything went back to normal after one of the worst flares I've experienced in recent years. I just use a cap a meal of the clean marine Krill oil, not sure of exact dose, I think it's 300mg.

In any case it's a food not a drug so there's no harm trying it out while you're waiting for other test results. Let me know how you get on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 stauntj

Hi all,

Its not a test commonly performed in ireland. Infact i stumbled across your post as im a nutritional therapist looking for an irish company that can provide the test.

I order mine from an american lab but they only deal with practitioners. The whole methane thing is interesting. Its typically harder to get rid of. Some antibiotics do have an efficacy rate of about 45% but there is a new botanical on the market called atrantil which has a remarkable 78% improvement rate in the symptoms of sibo or ibs. Dominance of methane usually means you are prone to constipation.

Just wondering if any of you who suffer from IBS have had lactulose breath testing done?

The reason I ask is that I had my breath tested in completely unrelated circumstances about three weeks ago. I was at a conference, and some academics had a display relating to their research on methane production. They were looking for volunteers to take a breath test, which would form part of the results of their experiment (The research was not related to health, it was a separate issue). Anyway, I turned out to be in the top five highest methane producers out of hundreds tested that day. Apparently, only roughly 1 in 3 people produces methane at all.

So, I thought it was kind of interesting, but there was no mention of this being possibly connected to digestion issues as the research wasn't in that area. I intended to look into possible connections between methane and IBS when I got home but forgot about it until now. I'm having a really bad flare at the moment, so I remembered the conference and googled it. Turns out there may well be a connection (especially in IBS-C sufferers, of which I'm one). Not only that, but there's a lactulose breath test to check for hydrogen and methane production. I'd never heard of this before, and I'm kind of excited, as it's being discussed in journal articles, etc., and there appears to be some evidence of a connection.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has had this done or discussed it with their doctor? I can't guage how common it is in Ireland, or if it's mainly something that gets done in the States. I don't even know if it's something most gastroenterologists are aware of, or put any store by. I'm seeing my consultant in a couple of weeks so will talk to him about it then, but I'd love to know if it's something any other suffers have come across previously!

Advertisement