Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Ceremony

Options
  • 09-09-2014 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Recently we have found the venue we would like to have our civil ceremony at. We plan to get married in September 2015 but I'm totally confused as to what we do first. Do we book our venue first or the registrar?
    Any help would be great as I'm totally clueless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭coats

Get a list of available dates from both hotel and registrar and then figure out which date you want and book them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

You need to check the dates that the registrar is free first, Saturdays will always be busy so you might have to wait a while for one.

If there is a date you want and the registrar isfree, ask if you can reserve it for 24 hours while you speak to the hotel to see if this date can also be booked with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Civil registrars only work Monday to Friday and do offsite ceremonies at set times so I would check with the HSE registrar first. Humanist and spiritualist celebrants will work weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

lazygal wrote: »
    Civil registrars only work Monday to Friday and do offsite ceremonies at set times so I would check with the HSE registrar first. Humanist and spiritualist celebrants will work weekends.

Is this a recent change? I was married in 2011 and we had the option of a Saturday service no problem, just none of the ones available suited us so we switched to a Thursday in order to suit the hotel that we wanted.
    We 100% had the option of a Saturday one though, I just checked my emails to confirm! It must be a new thing :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I provisionally booked the date we wanted with the hotel. They said they'd hold the date for a week without any deposit changing hands. I think that's fairly standard practice. I rang the HSE then and a registrar was available to come to the venue on that date so we booked that and went and paid the deposit on the hotel.

This was 8 months in advance of the wedding date but we are getting married on a Thursday so that helped with availability (for all suppliers! :D). I'd imagine Fridays fill up very quickly tho.

If the HSE has no one available to come to the venue (or if you're getting married at the weekend) you have the following options:

1. Have a humanist or spiritual solemniser perform your ceremony in the hotel. I hear they book up really quickly too

2. Get married in the registry office and then travel to your venue (Monday to Friday only)

3. Get married on a random day with just your witnesses and then on your reception date have a non legal ceremony in your venue performed by a friend or someone you can hire. I've seen a company called 'A Beautiful Ceremony' mentioned on here before.

Good luck with it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

Think it is going on a long time now, the no civil service on Saturdays... Id say like al above pick your date and other dates and just see if they are both available.. We had picked ours mostly got the provisionally date from the venue and then went to the HSE and asked were they available and booked straight away then.. You can do this up to three months before the big day itself but you are leaving to chance if you get the day ye want.

Advertisement