Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Potts retained jockey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Nice job to get for young burke, considering how loyal the potts have been to lynch
    i wonder why they've now got rid of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Alan Potts has spent a decent wedge and for all that, the only horse of any note he's had was Sizing Europe. Something is not working for him, so I assume that this is a bit of a desperation move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

If that were the case Francie he'd be changing trainers. Changing jockeys won't change how good your horses will be. Perhaps a different bloodstock agent if that was the case

Anyone know is there a connection between Burke and the Potts? Seems a funny decision it not

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Well, Gigginstown did get rid of Davy, so anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

But went for what was probably the hottest young jockey around at the time. Jonny Burke has a bright future but it is a peculiar decision to put so much faith in someone so experienced if you want to be winning big races

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

6/4 to ride a winner at cheltenham festival with paddy power is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Burke is a serious talent, you needn't worry about inexperience with him, anyway, its not like he is going to be riding a lot of bg race favourites.

Only appear to have a couple of half decent novices - they should have gone the whole hog and made Henry the retained trainer for all their stock - he's the only one who appears to be able to get best out of their horses - Dreaper is too old school for me - his horses always seem to need 4 miles and heavy ground

Whoever is doing the buying must be having a laugh though - that money they paid for Go All the Way following his third in a bumper for Kiely was some touch for Brian Gleeson.

Lynch is a bit like Adrian Maguire for me - he is after having a few serious injuries, and I think they have had an effect on his confidence

We've been spoilt here with NH jockeys the last while, the emergence of Burke, Cooper and co is a sort of changing of the guard, BJG, Davy, Ruby, Paul, Andrew and co are nearer the end of their careers than the start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Andalucia wrote: »
    Burke is a serious talent, you needn't worry about inexperience with him, anyway, its not like he is going to be riding a lot of bg race favourites.

Only appear to have a couple of half decent novices - they should have gone the whole hog and made Henry the retained trainer for all their stock - he's the only one who appears to be able to get best out of their horses - Dreaper is too old school for me - his horses always seem to need 4 miles and heavy ground

Whoever is doing the buying must be having a laugh though - that money they paid for Go All the Way following his third in a bumper for Kiely was some touch for Brian Gleeson.

Lynch is a bit like Adrian Maguire for me - he is after having a few serious injuries, and I think they have had an effect on his confidence

We've been spoilt here with NH jockeys the last while, the emergence of Burke, Cooper and co is a sort of changing of the guard, BJG, Davy, Ruby, Paul, Andrew and co are nearer the end of their careers than the start

Is Andrew not only 30 or 31? I know there can be plenty of other factors in the length of a jockeys career but if we're going on age he should have at least a decade left all being well,some of his rides from the front on Sizing Europe were brilliant and his ride on Sizing Australia in the Cross Country at Cheltenham in 2011? was quality too. Hopefully he bounces back from this disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

NH jockeys lose their nerve after 30-35 in most cases. AL suffers terribly after his leg break and with shin splints too.
    Burke is a fine you rider and 6/4 is no joke of a price at all. A young talent hat oozes confidence.

I actually think the Potts should spread their horses around. Just my opinion but if you have that amount of horses in training I think the JP model is the right one spreading them about

Best of luck to burkey in his new job

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Anyone know how many horses the Potts have in training at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

kfallon wrote: »
    Anyone know how many horses the Potts have in training at the moment?

Interesting point. If you look on the RP site its under a few listing

alan potts & ann potts
    mr alan potts & ann
    alan & ann potts partnership etc etc

I gave up counting and cross referencing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Well done Johnny boy

Advertisement