Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Whistleblower waits 15 months for Cert of service

Options
  • 08-09-2014 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/09/08/exemplary/

You may recall a post last week about how Gemma O’Doherty reported in The Sunday Times that former Garda John Wilson still hadn’t received his ‘certificate of service’ even though he left An Garda Síochána 15 months previous – after 30 years of service.

It was also reported that, before Mr Wilson left the gardaí in May 2013, he was disciplined for attending a court hearing on a day in which he wasn’t on duty. When he was questioned by garda management to explain his whereabouts, he said he had done nothing wrong. After refusing to account for his presence at the hearing, he was subjected to a disciplinary process. In April, he lost a High Court case he took against the disciplinary action and he’s now appealing this to the Supreme Court.

During his case in the High Court, Mr Wilson was offered an exemplary certificate of service on the condition he withdrew his action, but he didn’t.

Yesterday, Gemma O’Doherty wrote in The Sunday Times:

The certificate [exemplary] was sent to him by registered post, three days after his story appeared in last week’s newspaper…Speaking yesterday Wilson said he was relieved the situation had been resolved. “It’s taken more than 16 months to get it, but at least I have it now and can try to get a new job,” he said. “It was a terrible worry hanging over me. I badly needed it.

It does seem like a very long time to wait for a cert of service.What would be the normal timeframe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Not surprised to read this. Clearly they close ranks on people they no longer consider "friendly". It's disgraceful behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭markpb

he was disciplined for attending a court hearing on a day in which he wasn’t on duty.

Can anyone explain to me what the problem with this was?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

markpb wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me what the problem with this was?

Just because a case is listed for a day a Garda is not on duty doesn't give him the right not to attend. If that was the case the court system would be in a bigger shambles than it is. The Garda must attend and either claim overtime or take time off instead.
    If in court on a previous day he can always tell the Judge that the date isn't suitable and get the case listed for a working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Just because a case is listed for a day a Garda is not on duty doesn't give him the right not to attend. If that was the case the court system would be in a bigger shambles than it is. The Garda must attend and either claim overtime or take time off instead.
    If in court on a previous day he can always tell the Judge that the date isn't suitable and get the case listed for a working day.

It wasnt his case that he attended. He was called to account for his actions as per the Garda siochana act and refused to do so and that is what he was disciplined for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Not surprised to read this. Clearly they close ranks on people they no longer consider "friendly". It's disgraceful behaviour.

Yeah I don't understand this. How does someone spend time developing & creating courses and training to ensure members are of this mindset :confused:

If people were to acknowledge the fact anyone could be 10feet under in days as no-one knows what'll happen in 10mins; I don't understand the mentality of members being comfortable with family & friends find out they spent their last time alive making life hellish; hurtful and as difficult as possibly for another human.

I just don't understand that.
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Yeah I don't understand this. How does someone spend time developing & creating courses and training to ensure members are of this mindset :confused:

If people were to acknowledge the fact anyone could be 10feet under in days as no-one knows what'll happen in 10mins; I don't understand the mentality of members being comfortable with family & friends find out they spent their last time alive making life hellish; hurtful and as difficult as possibly for another human.

I just don't understand that.
    kerry4sam

What's this gibberish about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

Five Lamps wrote: »

What source are you relying on to base your belief that anyone closed ranks on anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

J K wrote: »
    What source are you relying on to base your belief that anyone closed ranks on anyone?

Personal knowledge of another case.

Advertisement