Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan O'Donnell Documentary

Options
  • 08-09-2014 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

Remember seeing a documentary think on TV3 in 2012 about what happened back in 1994 in east Clare, can't think of the name of it.anyone remember it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frankspencer

No it wasn't that I am sure

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Oh sorry, didn't spot the tv3 bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Well predates 2012, but in 2002, the BBC arts series Omnibus made a documentary about Edna O'Brien's book In the Forest. The documentary was titled Murder in the Forest and it was also shown on RTE 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

This was not welcomed by all and was criticised rightly, for not treating the subject matter as respectfully and sensetively as it should have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

I think this is a sad part of Clare's history and hidden Ireland that is shameful. I always think of all involved when I am up that side of the county that includes the innocents and the tormented Brendan O Donnell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

I have been looking to read up on the murder of Robert Lynch in Ennis about 20 years ago and can only find mention about when Tony Killeen sent a letter looking for his killers release. Anyone know where I could get more info please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

Who was Robert Lynch? I don't remember that at all.

I knew them both to see, both of them spent some time in Shannon, and Cooney killed Lynch with a Stanley knife, I think it was 1992 and it happened in or around a pub in Ennis. As I said, I don't remember all the details and wanted to read up on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

I knew them both to see, both of them spent some time in Shannon, and Cooney killed Lynch with a Stanley knife, I think it was 1992 and it happened in or around a pub in Ennis. As I said, I don't remember all the details and wanted to read up on them.

I vaguely remember something like that, did it happen at The Banner Arms?

• Advertisement

Could have been, I don't remember all the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I have been looking to read up on the murder of Robert Lynch in Ennis about 20 years ago and can only find mention about when Tony Killeen sent a letter looking for his killers release. Anyone know where I could get more info please ?

Is this a reference to the same 'Cooney'?
    Director of Public Prosecutions v. Garrett Cooney (unreported, 27 July 2004) was an application for leave against severity of sentence where the applicant had been charged with murder, but pleaded guilty to manslaughter and sentenced to fourteen years' imprisonment. Counsel for the applicant argued that the trial judge had erred in principle in failing to provide cogent reasons for his decision in his sentencing judgment by not appearing to have considered any of the mitigating matters raised by the applicant or by not imposing a proportionate sentence referable to the circumstances of the case, the nature of the offence, its effect on the victim and the circumstances of the convicted person.

The Court of Criminal Appeal held that whilst it couldn't submit that a sentencing judge is under an obligation to give reasons for a particular sentence that he or she imposes, it is a desirable practice as public confidence in the criminal justice system is enhanced when reasons for sentences are provided and it also facilitates review of the sentence by an appellate court.

However, the court concluded that the trial judge erred in not properly considering the established relevant factors when imposing sentence. The court also found that the sentence was excessive, and imposed as the appropriate sentence a period of eight years' imprisonment.

https://www.dppireland.ie/filestore/documents/Chapter_6_Aspects_of_Sentencing.htm

Don't think so, the guy's name was Christoper, not Garrett. Thanks anyway.

Advertisement