Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male grooming/personal hygiene

Options
  • 08-09-2014 7:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭

I'm a young guy but I'm pretty hairy, like everywhere. In particular my chest and lower stomach area, i'm not really too worried about other areas. But i'm considering shaving all my chest/stomach hair just because it's annoying me and it looks messy and horrible.

So, what is the best way to shave it without being itchy as f*c* for weeks? And i'd love it to stay away for a while too! Which probably wont happen...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dean84

Immac the shizzle out of it.
    Do not shave or it will grow back quicker and thicker. Before you know it people will think your harry Henderson.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭IDencI

dean84 wrote: »
    Immac the shizzle out of it.
    Do not shave or it will grow back quicker and thicker. Before you know it people will think your harry Henderson.

I heard that that was just a myth, but what is immac?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dean84

IDencI wrote: »
    I heard that that was just a myth, but what is immac?

Hair removal cream.

dean84 wrote: »
    Hair removal cream.

And how does that work?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

thats not true

Strong scientific evidence disproves these claims. As early as 1928, a clinical trial showed that shaving had no effect on hair growth. More recent studies confirm that shaving does not affect the thickness or rate of hair regrowth. In addition, shaving removes the dead portion of hair, not the living section lying below the skin's surface, so it is unlikely to affect the rate or type of growth. Shaved hair lacks the finer taper seen at the ends of unshaven hair, giving an impression of coarseness. Similarly, the new hair has not yet been lightened by the sun or other chemical exposures, resulting in an appearance that seems darker than existing hair.

Op as a grade A mothafcuking gorilla myself, i shaved a while back with a head razor on zero...

Not again, it was very itchy for a few days. need to ho up a few notches.
    Do it a few times to find the right length, then do it every couple of weeks on that setting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Immac is called Veet the last few years!

As a fan of hairy men, I say leave it as it is but if it makes you uncomfortable, maybe trim it a bit. Going hairless is unattractive, and the upkeep would be hard work, not to mention unattractive. Did I say that already?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

And how does that work?

rub it on desired area , leave it on for 5 mins then wash it off and the hair will fall out/off.

thats not true

Strong scientific evidence disproves these claims. As early as 1928, a clinical trial showed that shaving had no effect on hair growth. More recent studies confirm that shaving does not affect the thickness or rate of hair regrowth. In addition, shaving removes the dead portion of hair, not the living section lying below the skin's surface, so it is unlikely to affect the rate or type of growth. Shaved hair lacks the finer taper seen at the ends of unshaven hair, giving an impression of coarseness. Similarly, the new hair has not yet been lightened by the sun or other chemical exposures, resulting in an appearance that seems darker than existing hair.

Op as a grade A mothafcuking gorilla myself, i shaved a while back with a head razor on zero...

Not again, it was very itchy for a few days. need to ho up a few notches.
    Do it a few times to find the right length, then do it every couple of weeks on that setting

I actually only have a fave razor and an electric face razor. Would any of those do?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

And how does that work?

Basically it burns the hair off without damaging the skin (assuming you don't leave it on too long). Do not, and I repeat, do not use it near the crown jewels. For further amusing reading Google 'Veet for men Amazon review'

• Administrators Posts: 53,464 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    No. You'd be there all day with a normal razor and would need a box of blades and a normal face razor won't do the job.

Guess I'll scrap that idea hah, thanks for the info everyone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you're hairy everywhere then shaving your chest/stomach will just make you look stupid. Overall it's pretty pointless imo.

• Administrators Posts: 53,464 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

ElleEm wrote: »
    Going hairless is unattractive, and the upkeep would be hard work, not to mention unattractive. Did I say that already?!!

It really can't be said enough. Really.

Hairy chests...mmmmmmm.

awec wrote: »
    Yea if you have like hairy upper arms and a hairy back it's going to look weird.

I see what your saying, might just leave it for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

If you're determined to get rid of it, waxing is the way to go.

That said, while I'm not a massive fan of body hair, I honestly would be a bit weirded out if a man waxed/shaved his chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

OP, if you're doing it just for you and it's nothing to do with what other people think, then waxing is probably the best way to go. Maybe for the first time you could use Veet (though it will grow back faster) just to see what you think of "hairless you".

But, if you're doing it because you care what others think, particularly women, it probably will look a bit odd to be hairless. Also, many women do prefer a bit of a rug...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If you're determined to get rid of it, waxing is the way to go.

That said, while I'm not a massive fan of body hair, I honestly would be a bit weirded out if a man waxed/shaved his chest.

Laser the bits you dont want.

Trim the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

GreeBo wrote: »
    Laser the bits you dont want.

Trim the rest.

Depends on the hair. I can't get laser because my body hair is blonde :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Candie wrote: »
    It really can't be said enough. Really.

Hairy chests...mmmmmmm.

She knows the score :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Hi op, as someone that is very hairy (chest, stomach and back included) I can understand that you are consious about it, I was too for a long time about having a hairy back but as I've gotten older (I'm 35 now) I've grown to accept myself.

I can hand on heart say that not one female I've ever gotten down with has ever said anything negative and my fiancé loves my wookieness too.

If you do decide to get rid of it then waxing is the best bet but as someone said above, once you start you can't stop and it all would have to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

My bf trims his chest hair as he's into sports a lot and also sweats a lot and says that it bothers him a good bit. It looks fine, feels fine and he's happy.
    I've never been a fan of hairy men as I myself don't have that much body hair and it just never appealed to me, can't say it bothers me now though. When you like someone those things don't matter.

Does a male shaving his armpits actually stop sweat patches and sweating to much?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Does a male shaving his armpits actually stop sweat patches and sweating to much?

From personal experience - stop, not a chance; Help a bit, yes.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    From personal experience - stop, not a chance; Help a bit, yes.

I'll give it a bash!

I'll give it a bash!

Well good luck with looking like a gorilla for the next while, cus you'll be itching non stop ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It wont stop it, but I trim as I find its less stinky (and yes I do shower, at least daily!)

I trim my chest for the same reason as another, its just too damn hot and sweaty otherwise when exercising.

GreeBo wrote: »
    It wont stop it, but I trim as I find its less stinky (and yes I do shower, at least daily!)

I trim my chest for the same reason as another, its just too damn hot and sweaty otherwise when exercising.

It actually works!

Advertisement