Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frankie Dettori Loses Treve Ride

Options
  • 08-09-2014 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

At The Races reporting on via Facebook
    Big news in the Flat racing world today, as it's reported that Frankie Dettori has lost the ride on Treve. He's to be replaced by Thierry Jarnet, who was victorious aboard Treve in last year's Qatar Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIVE2_THREE

What a blow to his ego

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pinesky

It's a bit like the SDS saga.
    Will he leave his job as a result ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

If Hughes got to keep the ride on Toronado I couldn't understand why Jarnet couldn't keep the ride on Treve. Glad to see him back on her

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

It's a bit of a joke at this stage. Dettori is supposed to be first jockey for Al Shaqab but he's now not riding their two best horses.
    I don't have much sympathy for him though. I remember him joking a few years back that he wouldn't take outside rides at a Newmarket meeting because he wanted to be home in time for Neighbours. He might have been joking but there was a grain of truth in it at the same time. Frankie freewheeled his way with Godolphin towards the end, and probably expected Sheikh Mohammed to give him a cushy number once he retired. Not so easy for him now.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Might as well have a jockey on board that rode the horse to her greatest victory when you're hoping for a repeat in the same race. Frankie ain't setting setting the world on fire so in this case he's the weakest link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

tryfix wrote: »
    Might as well have a jockey on board that rode the horse to her greatest victory when you're hoping for a repeat in the same race. Frankie ain't setting setting the world on fire so in this case he's the weakest link.

The thing is though, Jarnet is a fairly piss-poor jockey at the best of times, and he's hardly getting better at the age of 47. Must be a real kick in the teeth for Frankie. Anyway, it's all academic as Treve can't possibly win another Arc, given the stats are very much against her.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIVE2_THREE

It's a bit of a joke at this stage. Dettori is supposed to be first jockey for Al Shaqab but he's now not riding their two best horses.
    I don't have much sympathy for him though. I remember him joking a few years back that he wouldn't take outside rides at a Newmarket meeting because he wanted to be home in time for Neighbours. He might have been joking but there was a grain of truth in it at the same time. Frankie freewheeled his way with Godolphin towards the end, and probably expected Sheikh Mohammed to give him a cushy number once he retired. Not so easy for him now.......

You hit it home. I think the writing is on the wall in regards to Frankie and his Al Shaqab gig. I forget which publication it was in. but a reporter asked him when did he know his stent with Godolphin was over ? and Frankie said he knew it was over when there was a group 3 race in which Godolphin had two entries and he wasn't named to ride. they instead sent him to Red Card to ride. Dettori was hired to be their go to guy and He won't be on their star horse in the biggest race of the year.

Advertisement