Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree options close to a wall

Options
  • 08-09-2014 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to plant a tree pretty close to a wall, its a sort of retaining wall, but not made from concrete and reinforced steel - it is just made from concrete blocks.

What are my best options regarding tree types for this type of scenario? possibly something that does not have very deep/far reaching roots??

I only want a tree that will be approx 20-30 feet high when fully grown.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I'm not sure that is a good idea as the roots of most large trees could easily undermine a retaining wall. If you post a pic of the site and situation perhaps we can help with suggestions and maby tell us why you want to plant so close, privacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

its not a retaining wall in the traditional sense, its more of a separating wall between an upper and lower part of my driveway, there is only about 1m of difference between the two levels. I am looking plant two trees on the lower side of the wall if possible.

As i said they don't have to be tall trees at all, just something to provide a bit of screening. probably 15-20 feet would be loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

It looks better if you plant in 3's, my preference is for A silver birch - specifically a jacquemontii, the pure white of the bark is just lovely. But there is a huge range of trees for you to choose from that would fit your site and conditions. Buy them bare root and plant in the winter.

5203267_3.jpg

This is a good read:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=117

Advertisement