Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Willow trees

Options
  • 07-09-2014 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been looking for a fast grown tree to use as a windbreak around my house.

I have done some research and it looks like willow hybrid or bigfoot willow might fit the bill.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of tree. And anyone know where I can buy them.

OR any other ideas

Thanks
    Seán.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Hi,

I have been looking for a fast grown tree to use as a windbreak around my house.

I have done some research and it looks like willow hybrid or bigfoot willow might fit the bill.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of tree. And anyone know where I can buy them.

OR any other ideas

Thanks
    Seán.

Most willows are fast growing and will grow from twigs so if you know someone with willow you could get it for nothing. I found finger thick the best, the problem is trying to get it not to grow if you want to use it for staking etc. :) If you do a search on this forum I remember a fairly active thread on willow hedging you'll get lots of Good advice there

• Registered Users Posts: 18,537 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hi,

OR any other ideas

Thanks
    Seán.

We've been using willow to build up a screen on an exposed site and also for a future timber supply...

We sourced hybrid slips from the UK (www.bowhayestrees.co.uk) and then tried some from Futureforests in Cork.. The ones from the UK definitely grow faster and take much more successfully.We tried some just regular "sallies" found in the hedge and they grow at about half the rate of the hybrid strains.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

these sell a hybrid slip in the winter:

http://www.theorganiccentre.ie/node/801

Advertisement