Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rights as a volunteer?

Options
  • 07-09-2014 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Do volunteers have similar rights to that of an employed person? Or have they no rights?

I am currently part of a voluntary ambulance organisation that has members from all walks of life. I stay in this voluntary role because, above all - I enjoy it and also because it will be necessary experience when applying for a job in a similar role.

There is clear bullying, nepotism and favouritism in my local group of this national organisation by one person only - the person in charge.

I have documented examples of the boss saying and encouraging the practice of making people that they don't like feel uncomfortable until they leave. The boss posts personal matters in a group messaging forum for all other members to see.

There are more issues that are clearly illegal and have been raised with senior management and they have not (from what I've seen) been acted on. I won't post these as they could identify me or other individuals.

I have politely raised issues in the form of a gentle suggestion and the feedback was, literally, being told to f*** off. The more we try to improve our organisation and make ourselves more professional, the more we're subjected to the bullying.

Have we any rights? I could move to another group but we work too closely together for it to work - others have done this and it has made things worse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Basically no, they do not have the same or similar rights. A good organisation will have a Volunteering Policy which will indicate who you bring these issues to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,767 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, even in employment nepotism is OK provided you're not in a government organisation.

And with volunteers, if the organisation doesn't have an official process for applicants which includes a "not this time, thanks" option, and an official way of getting rid of ones who are no longer suitable, then it can be that making people feel uncomfortable so that they leave is necessary. I agree that it's not ideal, but it happens.

The only area where you do have rights is in terms of equality, ie the nine anti-discrimination provisions (age, sex, disability, marital status, MOTC, etc). This applies to more than just employment, and you could complain to the rights commissioner.

Advertisement