Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Weedwiper/ factory made wiper

Options
  • 07-09-2014 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all
    Just thinking about buying a weedwiper/weedlicker.I have been told that a DIY weedwiper tends to break at stress points on the steel,this would be where the welds are. I am interested to know if that is true.The factory made wiper is done on a CNC machine so its one sheet which means less welds at stress points. Has anybody tried the connaught agri one,i know they do an offset one too but its the one from straight behind im interested in.Anybody any experience of it....? I have looked around and the options are below.All factory made bar DIY of course.
    Quad x €3500 approx
    Rocco €2800
    Connaught agri €1850
    DIY €1000-€1300
    Any info welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

C-dax are meant to have a better application than the roller type. If it's a roller type I'd get a well made DIY one. They are simpler and do the same job. The roco is made way too light I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Why would a DIY one be any weaker? Just make it from heavier steel and weld in support struts at the angles. As for welding, a good weld should be stronger than the surrounding metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tobbslerone

Yea you could be right i have just heard from people that has them that it sometimes breaks at welds(stress points).They are a simple tool though and it it hard to justify spending €3000 on one.

Yea you could be right i have just heard from people that has them that it sometimes breaks at welds(stress points).They are a simple tool though and it it hard to justify spending €3000 on one.

You'd be mad to spend 3k on one, the only thing extra you will be paying for is sales talk. To be honest I think a lot of the DIY ones are made stronger than their factory counterparts and I couldn't see them cracking at the welds.

Bit of a long shot here but there's a fella in lisseycasey county Clare making lickers. There's no belt in it to turn the drum but you can move the drum back and forward to turn off the wheel. Have used one and thought it was a great job. If someone on here knows the name or number of the fella that makes them could you pm it onto me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

I got one from a guy in Scarriff in County Clare. €1300....have used it a fair bit this year and does a good job. He normally advertises on DD.

Parishlad wrote: »
    I got one from a guy in Scarriff in County Clare. €1300....have used it a fair bit this year and does a good job. He normally advertises on DD.

Is that the tuamgraney engineering crowd? Think you man is a bit cheaper. Built strong with motorbike wheels and galvanised, there's one on dd in Clare from 3 or 4 weeks ago but it's sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Is that the tuamgraney engineering crowd? Think you man is a bit cheaper. Built strong with motorbike wheels and galvanised, there's one on dd in Clare from 3 or 4 weeks ago but it's sold.

Yep, that's the crowd. It's well made to be honest, with floatation tyres, 60l tank, handlance....tank can come off and go on back of quad for spot spraying.

Parishlad wrote: »
    Yep, that's the crowd. It's well made to be honest, with floatation tyres, 60l tank, handlance....tank can come off and go on back of quad for spot spraying.

Have a spot spray tank already! Got talking to the other fella, he stuck an add up on donedeal last night if I may have checked it before I posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

You would imagine an offset one would be a better job
    often looked at the ones that go directly behind and thought you would drive over some of the weeds you need to lick
    at least with an offset by the time you come around again it will have dried in a bit

• Advertisement

F.D wrote: »
    You would imagine an offset one would be a better job
    often looked at the ones that go directly behind and thought you would drive over some of the weeds you need to lick
    at least with an offset by the time you come around again it will have dried in a bit
    Doesn't make much difference on a quad to be honest, the rushes spring up again I find. You will pick chemical up on the wheels on you next run around and transfer it to the grass aswell.

Advertisement