Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conditions and Sexual Consent

Options
  • 07-09-2014 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

By law rape is sex without consent, there are many ways that consent is given both verbal and non verbal. Because of this, the man/woman is not required to verbally ask before penetration.

However, what if they are told by their partner that they must verbally ask? It's one thing if asking is a policy a partner employs despite not being told they have to. But if it's a condition put forth then is it rape to do it without asking?

I don't think it automatically is, there is a significant difference between it being their preference and them being unwilling until they give an affirmative answer.

I think context plays an important part in determining if it's rape or not.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Yep. Thats why we have criminal trials

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Crazy8qwerty

...obtained by deceit in respect of the identity of the person or the nature of the act

Your partner's identical twin pretending to be you in order to have sex with you is rape. It's rape because it is seen as a violation of consent. However if it wasn't seen as a violation of consent rather only annoying, it wouldn't even be against the law.

Some things technically fit the definition of a crime without usually being a crime. Like if you get mad at your kids and say you'll kill them, if your kids believe you it's child abuse, but if they don't it's not.

...or the nature of the act

1. Partner lies and says they are washing you down there because they want to sexually stimulate you when in actual fact it's because you have a bad odor.

(I'd wouldn't feel violated, but I would be miffed that they didn't talk to me, not a crime)

2. Partner somehow convinces you that they only want to wash you down there when they actually want to sexually stimulate you.

(I would find that creepy, I don't think they would need to convince me of anything if I was willing, could be a crime)

What is the difference between 1&2?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

Your partner's identical twin pretending to be you in order to have sex with you , surely its my partners identical twin pretending to be my partner ,

Does your partner have a twin and did he/she want to wash you down there : - )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I think context plays an important part

Kind of like anything, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

By law rape is sex without consent, there are many ways that consent is given both verbal and non verbal. Because of this, the man/woman is not required to verbally ask before penetration.

However, what if they are told by their partner that they must verbally ask? It's one thing if asking is a policy a partner employs despite not being told they have to. But if it's a condition put forth then is it rape to do it without asking?

I don't think it automatically is, there is a significant difference between it being their preference and them being unwilling until they give an affirmative answer.

then you must ask, dont see how its unclear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm so confused... is this trolling? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

The words disturbing come to mind.

All blokes know when the shop is closed, end of story.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement