Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convenience shops....

Options
  • 07-09-2014 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

Most specifically I bought a small bottle of Lucozade recently for €1.65!!!! Coca Cola 500ml bottles were also priced the same.

So expensive.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

That reminds me, must put the price up to €1.75.

I've got to see how high I can charge before people cop on and walk out the door without buying anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

F1ngers wrote: »
    That reminds me, must put the price up to €1.75.

I've got to see how high I can charge before people cop on and walk out the door without buying anything.

Well I had glanced at the shelf and it said €1.20 but was €1.65 at till and noticed the next time I was in that price on shelf had been put up.

I detect a smart-arse tone to your comment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

I have seen them priced €1.95 in places.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Well I had glanced at the shelf and it said €1.20 but was €1.65 at till and noticed the next time I was in that price on shelf had been put up.

Different price on shelf/at till, that's a pet hate of mine.
    I detect a smart-arse tone to your comment!

Just a little.

Mine too.

Bought a 4 pack of beers (Brahma I think) in a shop on All Ireland Semi Day, price said €4.99, scanned at €5.99 and I mentioned it to the till assistant. I know it was busy, and I know it wasn't specifically his fault, but he was completely rude and said it was a mistake whilst picking up the next person's purchase to scan through!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Mine too.

Bought a 4 pack of beers (Brahma I think) in a shop on All Ireland Semi Day, price said €4.99, scanned at €5.99 and I mentioned it to the till assistant. I know it was busy, and I know it wasn't specifically his fault, but he was completely rude and said it was a mistake whilst picking up the next person's purchase to scan through!

I've no problem that the prices are, way overpriced, not that I'm happy with that, but I expect it. So I can avoid them for the most part by not shopping there.
    My problem is the prices not being charged as they are displayed when its a routine thing and you have to check every single thing all the time, usually them being busy or not having the time to deal with it myself, makes it both difficult and embarrasses the customer into saying nothing. I think they rely on this.
    Ive come across it to the extent in a well known convenience shop local to me that Ive all but avoided getting anything off them for the most part as I consider their inability to change pricing tags is potentially suspect of being intentional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Most specifically I bought a small bottle of Lucozade recently for €1.65!!!! Coca Cola 500ml bottles were also priced the same.

So expensive.

The clue is in your thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I thought 1.65 would have been the going rate for lucozade, not that I would ever buy it there, or bars etc.

Last time I got lucozade it was 6x380ml bottle for 2.50 in dunnes, and before that was 6x330ml cans for €2 in dealz. These were warm of course though.

A 380ml bottle in tesco is showing as €1.19 which I guess is cold. 500ml is 1.85

makes it both difficult and embarrasses the customer into saying nothing
    Same tatic as pubs, there is a weird tradition of never asking about prices before ordering pints, so they take advantage. And don't go on about the price list, the one at the door is usually well hidden and only lists 16 drinks, only have to list the price of 1 lager. They are meant to have an extensive list inside but I have never seen it expect maybe in a craft beer pub, but even then I don't think it listed every spirit they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

A lot of convenience shops, at least down my neck of the woods, don't list any price at all. I try to take my business elsewhere as much as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

2 litre of pepsi max in tesco is 1.15 today,in my local convenience store it was 3.05...
    Rip off ireland and its best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the clue is in the thread title, you are paying for the convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

@the groutch

I find the absence of prices decidedly inconvenient.

I can get the same bottle of luco for €1 in the €2 shop.....suppose it's a bit of an inconvenience to go there especially though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I can get the same bottle of luco for €1 in the €2 shop.....suppose it's a bit of an inconvenience to go there especially though.

1 Euro in the 2 Euro shop ... I think you have a case for false advertising there.

Most €2 type shops do not have stuff chilled, though 1 I know of does.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

rubadub wrote: »

All the EuroGiant stores (and Dealz) have fridges; its really only the small independents that don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

1 Euro in the 2 Euro shop ... I think you have a case for false advertising there.

Not called the 2 euro shop anymore for that reason ;)

Euro Giant does :D

I meant EuroGiant, disaster averted :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    2 litre of pepsi max in tesco is 1.15 today,in my local convenience store it was 3.05...
    Rip off ireland and its best

I don't understand these posts. Comparing two totally different business models as if they are the same.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    All the EuroGiant stores (and Dealz) have fridges; its really only the small independents that don't.
    Actually thinking more about I think most I go to do have them, its just that I have never bought anything from their fridges so breeze right by them. I literally cannot remember the last time I bought a full RRP single bar or drink in a newsagent or supermarket on its own for myself. I have been given money by lads in work if I was going to the shop and it pains me to even hand their money over when the mulitpacks are so much better value.
    893bet wrote: »
    I don't understand these posts. Comparing two totally different business models as if they are the same.
    Also the convenience store could well be paying a lot more than €1.15 to the distributor/wholesaler.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Also the convenience store could well be paying a lot more than €1.15 to the distributor/wholesaler.

One day I had another rocket scientist telling me how he could get his milk and coke much cheaper at Tesco's and this person actually knew the exact current price. He left with a "Well, Um, eh...", after I reminded him that our little 'Convenience' store couldn't buy direct from manufacturer like Texco cutting out a middle man and couldn't get the discounts Tesco do when they order their million litres a week and that I hoped he enjoyed sitting in traffic and burning 50c in petrol on his trip to Tesco closing the price gap by that amount.

When he left, I thought about the prices he told me and have been buying our 2L minerals from Tesco ever since. Yes. Cheaper than Musgraves Wholesale. :rolleyes:

Calibos wrote: »
    Yes. Cheaper than Musgraves Wholesale. :rolleyes:
    A friend of mine used to manage a centra and was always offering me a go of his card. I popped into look several times and there was nothing worthwhile buying. He still has a cash & carry card and all they usually get is chicken fillets and just 1 or 2 other things.

I have a good memory for prices and anything of interest was about the same, some were a lot more. Musgraves show some prices online, a lot of other cash & carries require logins to see prices, some customers presumably get better prices.

There was a greengrocer in the same shopping centre as a tesco beside me, he has since closed but did have 2L of milk which was cheaper than tesco own brand. I do not believe he was selling below cost as I saw several people go in and buy about 10 cartons and he had no issue, he would have had a limit if it was below cost. They were presumably stocking cafes. It was national dairy council milk, perhaps sourced from up north. You wold see loads of people going in just for milk, but he made a bit on additional sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

A friend of mine used to manage a centra and was always offering me a go of his card. I popped into look several times and there was nothing worthwhile buying.

This is true on many everyday products where the major Supermarkets are almost always massively cheaper than the wholesalers.
    There was a greengrocer in the same shopping centre as a tesco beside me, he has since closed but did have 2L of milk which was cheaper than tesco own brand. I do not believe he was selling below cost

The fact that he is now closed says otherwise.

The fact that he is now closed says otherwise.
    Proves nothing to me. I really doubt he was following the below cost marketing model, it would have made no sense, esp. when I saw people buying up loads of milk, and only milk.

He just did not seem to do much trade. I have seen other shops with this brand of milk too, I presume they just had a wholesaler up north selling it, just like I guess all the €2 type shops have UK or EU wholesalers supplying them.

I see an old post about it, it was 3L 2+50% free so maybe he did get a very good price from the wholesalers.
    Dairy land cuisine milk, 3L (2L +50% extra free) for 1.49, green grocer is next to the chinese takeaway.

Has the national dairy council mark, farmed in the republic. http://www.dairyland.ie/

Some other good prices on fruit & veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I paid 1.95 before, worth it though

I paid 1.95 before, worth it though

I'm guessing "hangover medicine" ;) thats why they get away with it! warm lucozade is horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

You need to ask the question though are convenience shops any more convenient than your larger supermarkets. It is crazy standing in a queue for ages to buy a bottle of coke but many of these stores are staffed well and all the Tesco and many of the Dunnes now have self scanners and express checkouts which you'd be in and out quicker from than the Applegreens and Centras et al...to me thats what convenience is...

Its manys a time I went into a "convenience store and stood in a queue for ages....not convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

What if you had to drive 20 miles to get to one of these supermarkets. Also Applegreen stores aren't exactly convenience stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You need to ask the question though are convenience shops any more convenient than your larger supermarkets. It is crazy standing in a queue for ages to buy a bottle of coke but many of these stores are staffed well and all the Tesco and many of the Dunnes now have self scanners and express checkouts which you'd be in and out quicker from than the Applegreens and Centras et al...to me thats what convenience is...

Its manys a time I went into a "convenience store and stood in a queue for ages....not convenience.

Dunnes 'express' tills are anything but express in my experience, usually staffed by people who enjoy long conversations with each other too. My closest Spar is a 2 minute walk, same as Dunnes but they close at 7 or 9, Spar are there til midnight, Tesco is a 20 minute walk, so yes Spar is far more convenient.

Advertisement