Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New custom PC keeps shutting/restarting!! HELP!

Options
  • 07-09-2014 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Recently I bought a new PC! Custom build from HardWareVerSand!

It's a great PC..

HOWEVER,

It has a habit of restarting/crashing when I'm running a game..

I've everything up to date, drivers and updates installed.

Here is my rig:

RAM: 8 GB-Kit Kingston 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM SR x8.

Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS, Sockel 1150, mATX

PowerSupply: Corsair VS Serie VS550, Non-Modular, 80+

SSD: Crucial MX100 SSD 128GB (2,5", 7mm)

CPU:Intel Core i5-4460

HDD: WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's

GPU: MSI R9 280 GAMING 3G with MANTLE and Gaming Evolved client , 3GB DDR5.

Signs suggest that it is the PSU over heating or not strong enough? I took off the case and it was the only thing that was rather hot..!

Any ideas what I should do? Advice is greatly appreciated as always!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Could be a faulty PSU.

What case do you have it in?

What way do you have it oriented?

Is the intake facing down or up?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭pepper180

BloodBath wrote: »
    Could be a faulty PSU.

What case do you have it in?

What way do you have it oriented?

Is the intake facing down or up?

The case is: Aerocool XPredator X3. Cost €84.

Features:
    Windowed side panel, screwless drive bays, removable dust filter, meshed front panel, vibration damping, cable management holes, water cooling holes, meshed top.

It is ontop of a 3foot high desk close to a window. Not against a wall at all.

Eh I asked you what way the PSU was oriented.

Intake facing down taking air from the bottom vent or up competing for air with the GPU?

Eh I asked you what way the PSU was oriented.

Intake facing down taking air from the bottom vent or up competing for air with the GPU?

Ohh sorry! Here are images of it, does this help?

mf4Dp5q.jpg

wJRg8q6.jpg

KGofYL0.jpg

That's a big case :)

Looks fine. Download HWinfo and run it while benchmarking something stressful like the 3dmark firestrike demo. It will record your min/max temps, fan speed, voltages.

Check your temps and voltages especially the 12v voltage on the PSU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

I had this issue before and it was the graphics card, only happened in one game and as it was a faulty memory block causing it and only that game every needed enough to hit it. It could also be that the graphics card is not getting enough power when running at max and is causing the psu to trip.

That's a big case :)

Looks fine. Download HWinfo and run it while benchmarking something stressful like the 3dmark firestrike demo. It will record your min/max temps, fan speed, voltages.

Check your temps and voltages especially the 12v voltage on the PSU.

Running that, will it cause it to trip out before it finishes and records it, or,?

Yep Voltage wise the PSU is fine

I had this issue before and it was the graphics card, only happened in one game and as it was a faulty memory block causing it and only that game every needed enough to hit it. It could also be that the graphics card is not getting enough power when running at max and is causing the psu to trip.

Interesting..

what do you suggest I do?

pepper180 wrote: »
    Interesting..

what do you suggest I do?

Is it a powered GPU?

Is it a powered GPU?

What do you mean? Sorry new to this..

• Advertisement

pepper180 wrote: »
    What do you mean? Sorry new to this..

The GPU would be the graphics card, the better cards require power direct from the psu and should plug in to the machine and have a point on the card, If that is loose or not connected the card would not be getting the power to run above a certain level and would crash which could cause the pc to shut down or restart

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PCmaestro

Hi,the guy has posted few images above.There you can clearly see the GPU is hooked on the PSU.
    Also,the PCI slots on the board give power to the GPU,if there is no extra connectors on the card itself.If the power drow higher than 75W,than we have to use additional PCI power off the PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PCmaestro

What was the Voltage on the 12V line?
    What temps did you get?
    Especially on the CPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

I had random shutdowns with a similar vs series power supply...I replaced it with a 300w spare I had lying around and the problem was gone.

I also had an issue with cable management...one of the unused molex connectors was arcing to the case, causing instant shutdowns. Check the positions of all the un-used connectors and make sure nothing can touch anything!

Try the RAM next. Run memtest or a similar program. Could be a faulty module.

Make sure nothing is blocking the airflow into and out of the PSU as well.

Advertisement