Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talbot Street

Options
  • 07-09-2014 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on Talbot St and what its true potential could be. Like I think no one would deny it is a complete mess but at the same time its kind of bizaare that it is so close to Henry Street yet to walk the two different streets you might think you were in two different cities. That might be because of the type of retail that tends to be on Talbot Street but also although I never feel unsafe on Talbot Street I also feel there is still a bit of an edge on the street, at least compared to Henry St.

Anyway I dont seem anything changing soon but as the city develops perhaps it will up its game. In fairness to DCC I think they have spent a bit of money on it with traffic calming and installation of Dublin Bikes, etc but still the street just feels old and dated like the whole length of it needs some sort of kick up the arse. Its not a street I would ever describe as having 'character', maybe other truer Dubs would but for me when I walk it I just want to speed up so I spend less time on it. It doesnt feel like a street where you'd want to linger for too long IMO.

When you think about it we have the whole of the Henry St/Moore St/Mary St area pedestrianised and then over in the IFSC large areas are also given to pedestrians. What connects the IFSC to the Henry St area is Talbot Street which isnt exactly pleasant to walk down but is one of the main pedestrian routes between the two areas. I'm not sure if DCC would ever allow Talbot Street to be fully pedestrianised, at least from the Gardiner St junction to near the Spire. I'd say Dublin Bus would have a hernia as they park a lot of buses in that area and them and taxis are the main motorised users of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

i think there's been huge investment in the henry street and liffey street in the past ten to twenty years. wasn't so long ago it struggling as a retail destination- Arnotts helps too i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I think Talbot Street would be great in a Camden Market set up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Best pub in Dublin is in Talbot St. The Celt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Nomis21 wrote: »
    Best pub in Dublin is in Talbot St. The Celt.
    Your mixing that up with the restaurant royale ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

The Celt is a great little boozer. But overall, Talbot Street, for as long as I can remember, has barely changed and I don't see it particularly changing in the future tbh. It's like a time machine back to the 1970s except the ethnic mix has changed, obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I wouldn't call Talbot Street a complete mess. It might not appeal to middle class folks as the go-to place, but it seems to function very well as a local main street for the surrounding community. Bear in mind that that part of Dublin 1 is one of the most disadvantaged neighbourhoods in the country, so it makes sense that the shops in the area are going to be cheap. Cheap shops don't spend frivolous money on beautification.

On the other hand, I do think Talbot St has a lot of unrealised potential. Small premises, cheap rent, cheap to fit out, and on the beaten track - a good recipe for start-up retail. As I said in a similar thread recently, the Capel Street area seems to be getting most attention on the Northside atm but that will come to an end once it starts getting too expensive. Once it does, Talbot Street is well poised to absorb demand for retail space. As you say, it's close to offices and transport.

I wouldn't hold my breath for ladies boutiques or cocktail bars, but certainly with Starbucks opening on North Earl Street, there's bound to be some interest in Talbot Street as a solid retail area. It mightn't happen for another five or ten years, but I get the feeling it's only a matter of time before it becomes the new cool street in town.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i dont think its too bad. you have The Celt, Talbot 101, Le Bon Crubeen, Gerry Keanes, so good camping shops, a few cheap eats, good butcher and a decent Tesco.

Its an inner city residential shopping street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I think it's fine, nothing has happened to me. But like anywhere be weary

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yummy Georgian BBQ there too - nyom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BigBadDog

10 years later and it’s only got worse. All the old hotels and guest houses around Talbot St are now homeless accommodation. I guess that during Covid the slump in tourism forced them to find other sources of income and they never looked back. Anti-social behaviour in the area has also increased. Lack of policing isn’t helping matters. The guards probably ignored the street during Covid.

It still has lots of potential though and is quite a nice looking street IMO, especially towards the Connolly Station end.

Looks like Marlborough St will be next to improve and hopefully that will help to kick start changes on Talbot St

• Advertisement
Advertisement