Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to start a career in Business/Finance?

Options
  • 06-09-2014 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

I'm 17 in 5th year and I was thinking of a career in the business/finance area (picking between a few area to be honest!)
    I've got an Aunt who's a manager of a investment bank in London and my Uncle is a stockbroker.
    I do business in school (I know it's irrelevant for courses but still) I've always been A1 in the 'business mind' aspect but I'm not the best at balance sheets and the sort yet I'm good at maths!

How would I go about getting a career in this area?
    I want a job that's high stress (I'm good under pressure) I want to be challenged, I want to work a lot I have no real plan for kids in my future (near or far) and I want my job to be my main focus.

What area in business/Finance would I be suited for? (In your opinion) and finally
    What college in Ireland has the best business school?
    A lot of questions but I hope ye can answer them cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I thought you wanted to do Medicine?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

spurious wrote: »

Haha I think he hasn't decided what he wants to do yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

spurious wrote: »

I'm keeping my options open looking into a vast array of areas because if there's one thing I don't want its a job I don't like.

Regardless I'm stilling keeping up the grades and classes needed to get me into medicine as in reality that will get me into whatever else I may or may not want to go into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Go for the UCD finance course. Its one of the highest points course in the Quinn business school and apparently has 100% employment rate

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

I's say commerce in UCD is your best bet its a general degree and then you can do a postgrad in whatever area you like, especially if you want to work for one of the big companies because they headhunt from that course.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Seanf999 wrote: »
    Regardless I'm stilling keeping up the grades and classes needed to get me into medicine as in reality that will get me into whatever else I may or may not want to go into.
    At least you've got that bit solidly in your head now! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MegLC

Theres a good few business/finance courses in UL and try DBS too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Economics and Finance courses tend to have a very heavy workload so general Commerce or a Bachelor of Business might be better but it's up to you :)

Advertisement