Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

art portfolio 2015

Options
  • 06-09-2014 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I'm currently working on my portfolio for LSAD, NCAD and possibly IADT (LSAD is my first preference). I'm following the NCAD brief 2015 and i was wondering if anyone else was doing the same??? How are you finding it??? I have eight out of the fourteen pages down and im fairly confident that its pretty creative but I'm still kinda worried i won't get in?? I just want it to be February so I can submit it!! I also just started 6th year so let's hope the pressure won't get too much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Forart14

Hey I haven't started the porfolio yet, only small bits but nothing I would put in for the large sheets. I think I want to apply to NCAD now, I'm not in my lc year so hopefully I'll get it done in time. I'm so stuck for ideas though, I've made some rough mind maps but finding it difficult to get two 'physical examples'. I've thought of a few ideas but how on earth am I supposed to diss-admantle and rearrange items? Or can I just draw/paint as if I took them apart? A little lost :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ronflynn

Im just starting mine too. Currently studying a foundation art diploma so it's hard to find the time. I have a few questions though...

Is there a minimum maximum amount of pages?
    Can I submit visual diary books?
    I'm currently putting together a portfolio for other colleges, do I include my brief and submit everything in my portfolio to NCAD?

Thanks!

ronflynn wrote: »
    Im just starting mine too. Currently studying a foundation art diploma so it's hard to find the time. I have a few questions though...

Is there a minimum maximum amount of pages?
    Can I submit visual diary books?
    I'm currently putting together a portfolio for other colleges, do I include my brief and submit everything in my portfolio to NCAD?

Thanks!

The minimum for ncad is 14 pages I think! Should say on the brief and the top left hand corner of every sheet. I don't think they like to look through more than 20-25 pages though! And yeah the minimum visual diary is one, again I think you can add as many as you have as long as it doesn't exceed the weight limit! I'm scraping the Ncad brief and applying to vis com in iadt. So suck for ideas and I'm not too sure what there looking for in the portfolio. Where you applying to!?

Forart14 wrote: »
    The minimum for ncad is 14 pages I think! Should say on the brief and the top left hand corner of every sheet. I don't think they like to look through more than 20-25 pages though! And yeah the minimum visual diary is one, again I think you can add as many as you have as long as it doesn't exceed the weight limit! I'm scraping the Ncad brief and applying to vis com in iadt. So suck for ideas and I'm not too sure what there looking for in the portfolio. Where you applying to!?

Thanks so much for your reply! I've had a read through the brief a few times and I'm just wondering how to do all along side my foundation diploma. Right now we do a different project every 3 weeks, each project consists of a visual diary, big pages, loads of mixed media work and really anything else we want to add such as photography, graphics etc. We take the best parts of each projects and use them to build our portfolio. The art college here in Belfast asks for at least one good visual diary but probably not more than 3 because they won't have time to look at them all.

For NCAD should I submit the portfolio I working on with all my current work (including visual diary work) PLUS the minimum 14 page portfolio brief set out by the college? Also should I create an extra visual diary to go along with the brief?

Sorry for the essay! I'm just confused because I'm already making a portfolio as part of my foundation diploma. Doing this as well as the brief seems like an awful lot of work!

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Thanks so much for your reply! I've had a read through the brief a few times and I'm just wondering how to do all along side my foundation diploma. Right now we do a different project every 3 weeks, each project consists of a visual diary, big pages, loads of mixed media work and really anything else we want to add such as photography, graphics etc. We take the best parts of each projects and use them to build our portfolio. The art college here in Belfast asks for at least one good visual diary but probably not more than 3 because they won't have time to look at them all.

For NCAD should I submit the portfolio I working on with all my current work (including visual diary work) PLUS the minimum 14 page portfolio brief set out by the college? Also should I create an extra visual diary to go along with the brief?

Sorry for the essay! I'm just confused because I'm already making a portfolio as part of my foundation diploma. Doing this as well as the brief seems like an awful lot of work!

Also sorry for all the typos! I had surgery yesterday so I'm quite tired ha!

• Advertisement

I'm completing a foundation at the moment too! Haven't done too much for the portfolio though because we're doing art basics etc. Yeah that sounds like a lot of work to do alongside the NCAD brief, you should try base your college projects around the brief. Have you picked your objects yet? Because once you do, you could base one of the projects around the object! That way you'd get some of the ncad brief done :)

I don't think they want to look through too many extra pages, but probably want to see variation of styles/mediums used! So you could defiantly include some of your own personal projects with life drawings and that!

Yeah the entry requirement is at least ONE visual diary for the ncad brief, they want to see your way of thinking and how you came up with your ideas and that!
    Are you applying to any other college?
    Hope this is helping! I'm a little confused about my portfolio too so I understand any help is huggge!

Forart14 wrote: »
    I'm completing a foundation at the moment too! Haven't done too much for the portfolio though because we're doing art basics etc. Yeah that sounds like a lot of work to do alongside the NCAD brief, you should try base your college projects around the brief. Have you picked your objects yet? Because once you do, you could base one of the projects around the object! That way you'd get some of the ncad brief done :)

I don't think they want to look through too many extra pages, but probably want to see variation of styles/mediums used! So you could defiantly include some of your own personal projects with life drawings and that!

Yeah the entry requirement is at least ONE visual diary for the ncad brief, they want to see your way of thinking and how you came up with your ideas and that!
    Are you applying to any other college?
    Hope this is helping! I'm a little confused about my portfolio too so I understand any help is huggge!

We are given themes and so far I haven't been able to tie any of them into the NCAD brief. For example my current project is still life, but I have to work with the objects they give me in class. If I could my own projects I could tie it in my doing tools or something. So I just need to do the extra stuff myself!

No your comments have been so helpful, just talking to someone else who is doing it is so helpful!

Advertisement