Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Short Term Car Insurance

Options
  • 06-09-2014 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Just wondering if there was such a thing in Ireland similar to dayinsure.com in the UK etc whereby you can insure a car for a day etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

trendy88 wrote: »
    Just wondering if there was such a thing in Ireland similar to dayinsure.com in the UK etc whereby you can insure a car for a day etc.

No, there isn't.

However you can swap cover on your current policy for other car temporarily. Alternatively you can purchase a policy, and cancel it within 14 days. You will have to pay for the whole policy (or arrange direct debit), but you will get refund of unused portion - so effectively you'll pay only for time policy was in place proportionally.

F.e. if policy for whole year costs €365, and you cancel policy after 10 days, you should get a refund of €355 so effectively you'll pay only €10. There might be some additional administration fee though. I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Boggles the mind why no one on the Irish market is doing this. I often have a need for a week or so of insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,332 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

To make it worse, I had a terrible fight with axa to do a temporary change onto sisters car for 1 day.
    No way would they do it I was told. I wanted to bring her car for an nct (still in test btw) They said only onto garage owned car if my car was in for repairs.
    I couldnt quite believe what I was hearing. I eventually got on to a manager who agreed that they would do it due to needing to take the car for a test but they really are taking the piss. Im with them many years and rarely need any changes like this. I just thought it was very very poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Most insurance policies have third party cover of other cars if that car has a policy on it. In other words as long as the car has insurance you are covered to drive it on you policy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

CiniO wrote: »
    No, there isn't.

However you can swap cover on your current policy for other car temporarily. Alternatively you can purchase a policy, and cancel it within 14 days. You will have to pay for the whole policy (or arrange direct debit), but you will get refund of unused portion - so effectively you'll pay only for time policy was in place proportionally.

F.e. if policy for whole year costs €365, and you cancel policy after 10 days, you should get a refund of €355 so effectively you'll pay only €10. There might be some additional administration fee though. I'm not sure.

There will be admin charges tbf; probably to the tune of €40-€50 from what I can remember of my policy (I could be wrong about the figure, but you are not going to get a weeks insurance for a tenner).

• Advertisement

Most insurance policies have third party cover of other cars if that car has a policy on it. In other words as long as the car has insurance you are covered to drive it on you policy

- The other car almost certainly does not need to be insured.

- The other car cannot be registered to the policy holder (which rules out driving a car that you own).

- It still doesnt get around the requirement to display a valid insurance disc, which means that while you can drive the car, you cant leave it anywhere without running the risk of being ticketed.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

djimi wrote: »
    - The other car almost certainly does not need to be insured.

- The other car cannot be registered to the policy holder (which rules out driving a car that you own).

- It still doesnt get around the requirement to display a valid insurance disc, which means that while you can drive the car, you cant leave it anywhere without running the risk of being ticketed.

Thanks for the clarification. Always thought other car had to have insurance on it.

I think it was the case some years ago (one of my earliest policies back in the early 2000s has this criteria), but it was hasnt been the case on any policy that I have seen for a few years now.

Advertisement