Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax question

Options
  • 06-09-2014 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Apologies to mods if this thread is in the wrong section.

Can't find anything on the interwebs so said I'd ask here. My cars been for sale over a week now and the tax expired at the start September. I don't really want to tax it again as I could use that money to tax the new car when I get it. I know it's a legal requirement to have all 3 slips in the window but what I want to know is what's the worst that can happen if I don't pay and how long do I have before I have to pay if needed before arrears set in. Sorry for the rambling

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

As long as you don't get stopped by guards, if you do, depends on the guard they can give you 60 days before car can be taken from you, and you will have to produce tax within 10 days of been stopped, so up to you really if you wanna take the chance. I would cause I'm mad.😊

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You have a month after the disc expires before arrears kick in.

From my experience (of running into that month pretty much every time my tax expires!) I have never had an issue in 13 years of driving; even at a checkpoint its usually just "you know your tax could do with being paid". Of course, meet a Garda on the wrong day and you might not be so lucky, likewise a traffic warden can ticket you for not having a valid tax disc if they see you parked up anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Glynch93

I'm not a man to avoid paying tax but I'm bored of my car but can't seem to shift it. Not a fan of taking chances. Thanks for the advice lads. This can be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Put your advert up here we may be able to help with wording or whatever.

Don't think I can. Don't have enough posts :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

on adverts,donedeal or carzone?

what is it and what way is it priced some stuff can take a while.

It's a 1996 Honda Civic Coupe.
    Green
    Has Nct till January '15
    Timing belt done
    Runs and drives perfect.
    It's not the most sought after car.
    I had 3 people comment that its cleaner then most they have seen in its year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Glynch93 wrote: »
    Apologies to mods if this thread is in the wrong section.

Can't find anything on the interwebs so said I'd ask here. My cars been for sale over a week now and the tax expired at the start September. I don't really want to tax it again as I could use that money to tax the new car when I get it. I know it's a legal requirement to have all 3 slips in the window but what I want to know is what's the worst that can happen if I don't pay and how long do I have before I have to pay if needed before arrears set in. Sorry for the rambling

Thanks in advance.

Whatever about a Garda giving some lee way there's little chance of a Traffic Warden doing the same.

If your tax is expired by more than 2 months your car can be seized by a Garda if found driven or parked on a public road and you'll have to pay the fine and impound fees (but not the tax strangely) to get it back.

You have the whole month of Sept to pay without incurring arrears, after that arrears are due if you tax the car (however contrary to common misconception that does not mean you can drive around untaxed in Sept).

Advertisement