Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become an English Teacher?

Options
  • 05-09-2014 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I'm new to the forums so I'm not entirely sure how this works. I have been thinking recently of becoming an English Teacher, I love the subject and I have a great aptitude for it (or so I'm told)
    I've two major questions;
    What should I study at college/uni?
    Is there or will there be much work for English teachers in the future? I'm in 5th year now so not so much the near future.
    Also I do realise it is impossible to predict the future but I'm wondering have you heard any statistics or anything of that nature?
    If you could answer either or question I'd be delighted! Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

You would either do an English degree (obviously), or you could do an Arts degree which is generally lower points than doing an English degree. Arts degrees allow you to do several subjects, so by the end of it, you could be qualified to teach English and Geography, or maybe English and History. But if it's only English you want to do, do an English degree. You're better off speaking to your career guidance teacher and they will advise you where to study it, and what colleges.

In terms of jobs, I'd say if you did an English degree as oppose to an Arts degree, you'd have a much better chance of getting a job as an English teacher as it would be much more appealing to an employer. I don't have any statistics on jobs and what the future holds, don't let that put you off. If you're good enough at it, you'll get a job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is very little work for English teachers in Ireland, regardless of second subject. You need a second subject to register with the Teaching Council and you will need to do the PME (previously H. Dip/PDE) which currently costs 12000 euro to do over two years - no grants.

The job situation is terrible with hundreds of new teachers being spewed out by the various courses. If things ever improve there is a huge backlog of people waiting for work.

There will always be work abroad for TEFL teachers, particularly native speakers with a degree in English.

Advertisement