Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competing in powerlifting...with weak numbers

Options
  • 05-09-2014 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

Question to the powerlifting comp vetrins, I've had a intrest in powerlifting for a long time, unfortuetly due to life being in the way had a 4 month lay off from training I know ill be training proper come september due to a change in circumstances. Im thinking of joining the IDFPA and competing in the bench and push/pull comps coming up this year.

I know ill only have been back training a a few weeks and my numbers will be embarrassingly low compared to others but feck it I'm thinking i don't really care I know i wont place but i just want to get my foot in the door of the sport and start competing, I figure if i have something specific to train for ill be a lot more focused.

I guess i just want some reassurance that I'm not going to be laughed out of it or people arent going to be thinking whats this dude doing here he can only bench/squat/pull x amount or whatever!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Who gives a ****. Go compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

ya your right man, just needed to hear it from some one else!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

My take on it is that you go and be the best you can be on the day. If I've learned anything from being in a good gym is that people respect you for trying to better yourself.

Go do it and enjoy it, chief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I've only competed once but my numbers were fairly siht. Great day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

What I've noticed from the few weightlifting comps I've been to is that everybody gets equal respect regardless numbers, I'm sure powerlifting is just the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

dylbert wrote: »
    What I've noticed from the few weightlifting comps I've been to is that everybody gets equal respect regardless numbers, I'm sure powerlifting is just the same.

This is very true! Powerlifting, especially within the idfpa is very respectful, extremely welcoming and friendly. No one will laugh at you and most will be rooting for you to break your prs. I'll likely be at the push pull myself so if you need help give a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

The upcoming bench will be my first meet also so you wont be the only one . Youll notice me easily ill be the one lookkng slightly confused 4OVLKQc.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RB94

Last year I had never competed but the upcoming bench event will be my fourth competition this year. It really does get addictive; everyone at the meet only wants you to break a PR and will shout for anyone grinding out a tough lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 GerSmith

Competing will get you stronger. Why? Because you'll need to 'peak' for your meet, then afterwards reset, plan to beat PRs and peak again... if done correctly you will be smashing your PRs time and time again, certainly for your first few competitions.

Go out and enjoy the atmosphere and camaraderie that's involved. Plenty of people will be there to guide you through the process but a bit of pre-work / investigation into the rules will help prepare you for the day. Don't go in blind.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Its all about form and doing the best you can. If you have weaker numbers than everyone else, than you will learn the most that day. Everyone will be giving you advice and cheering you on!

Good Luck man!

• Advertisement
Advertisement