Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CraftBeerGrowlers.ie

Options
  • 05-09-2014 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭

I see one of these is being set up not too far from me, I look forward to trying it, it's claimed the beer holds for up to 60 days.

Anyone have any experience from any of their set ups in the UK ?

http://www.craftbeergrowlers.ie/

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

No experience personally, but I'd suggest this may be something to make the most of as soon as it opens. Certain vested interests might not take too kindly to the selling of draught beer without a full pub licence, and could make life very difficult for the operators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Ive never seen this particular unit, but this was huge in NZ while I was there. Craft breweries happily supplied kegs to offlicences, I dont see anything to prevent it happening here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how it plays out, considering there's a pub across the road from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

That's really cool.

I love their pricing structure, it gets dearer the more you get! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

As long as you can't consume on the premises, are they ok legally to fill and sell bottles for takeaway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Any idea what beers they'll be selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭padair

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I see one of these is being set up not too far from me, I look forward to trying it, it's claimed the beer holds for up to 60 days.

The black sheep in Dublin sells growlers. Don't know how much they cost.

padair wrote: »
    The black sheep in Dublin sells growlers.

As do a couple of other craft beer pubs too, however, the link the op is referring to is about about off licences refilling growlers rather than pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Hopefully the service will be extended to all the Carry Out chain of off licence's

Buggered if I'm traveling to Tyrellstown to fill my Growler everytime I fancy a beer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭padair

BaZmO* wrote: »
    As do a couple of other craft beer pubs too, however, the link the op is referring to is about about off licences refilling growlers rather than pubs.

Ah OK.Does anyone know how much the off licences would it for?

• Advertisement

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Any idea what beers they'll be selling?

Two initially I think, I dropped in to ask as I passed the place but the regular guy wasn't there and the other lad wasn't too sure. I'll be in the area this evening so I'll pop in then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Two initially I think, I dropped in to ask as I passed the place but the regular guy wasn't there and the other lad wasn't too sure. I'll be in the area this evening so I'll pop in then.

I dropped them a message on Facebook but haven't had a reply yet. Hopefully they'll have something awesome! And hopefully some nice growlers for sale too.

Was in earlier, the guys aren't too sure what's happening but apparently they've gotten in around 10 or 11 kegs, 4 or so being Irish. The growlers are on the counter and they're the ones pictured in the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Was in earlier, the guys aren't too sure what's happening but apparently they've gotten in around 10 or 11 kegs, 4 or so being Irish. The growlers are on the counter and they're the ones pictured in the website.

Metalman pale ale was one I was told.
    Gonna check em out.
    Can't imagine there is any legal issues as its being sold for consumption off site. Its no different to filling flip top bottles of Weston's cider from a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Not to far from me either :), here are the price and beer courtesy of Saurman.

Craft Beer 1 Litre 2Litre
    Metalman Pale Ale (4.3% a.b.v) €7.50 €14.00
    Black Donkey Sheep Steeler Saison (5.5% a.b.v) €7.50 €14.00
    Porterhouse Dublin Pale Ale (4.2% a.b.v) €8.50 €15.00
    Brooklyn Ridgy-Didge Lemon Myrtle Saison (8.4% a.b.v) €10.50 €19.99

The system they have employed will back flush the container with CO2 and they also cap on foam, which will prevent oxidation and extend the beer life.

oblivious wrote: »
    Not to far from me either :), here are the price and beer courtesy of Saurman.

Craft Beer 1 Litre 2Litre
    Metalman Pale Ale (4.3% a.b.v) €7.50 €14.00
    Black Donkey Sheep Steeler Saison (5.5% a.b.v) €7.50 €14.00
    Porterhouse Dublin Pale Ale (4.2% a.b.v) €8.50 €15.00
    Brooklyn Ridgy-Didge Lemon Myrtle Saison (8.4% a.b.v) €10.50 €19.99

The system they have employed will back flush the container with CO2 and they also cap on foam, which will prevent oxidation and extend the beer life.

So Metalman will be priced at €3.75/€3.50 per 500ml, and Porterhouse is €4.25/€3.75
    Expensive when compared to similar Irish beers already available in bottles.

I still think it's a great idea for beers that are once offs, or if there is a decent enough saving, but I can't see it taking off if you end up paying way over the odds compared to the competition.

Dont see the point if its more expensive than the pub...

So Metalman will be priced at €3.75/€3.50 per 500ml, and Porterhouse is €4.25/€3.75
    Expensive when compared to similar Irish beers already available in bottles..

Part of the MO is "At the moment, up to 50% of Craft beers are unavailable for take home, in any format. Craftbeer Growlers aim to change this statistic, working closely with breweries we hope to create a diverse and ever changing beer menu that is available to our customers."

So I would expect the list to change regularly, to see seasonals and one off that may not make it to a canning/bottling line

drumswan wrote: »

I don't think Tyrrelstown has a bar that's severing craft beer any more. It's a large residential area and the nearest pubs that I know serving draught Irish craft beer are 5-6 Km away

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

It's only more expensive on your first visit if you don't have a growler already. Where are you getting pints for less than €4?

• Advertisement

Ah, I was doubling the prices in my head. Too many jars in the RDS methinks. Those are very doable prices so.

It's only more expensive on your first visit if you don't have a growler already. Where are you getting pints for less than €4?
    So those prices listed above include the price the growler? I doubt it somehow.

Even if they dont include the growler, if its €3.50 for 500ml, its cheaper than the pub and about the same as bottled off sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

No they don't. If you buy the growler at €7 (cheaper than anywhere else) then it's more expensive than the pub for your first visit. After that you're getting them (if you buy 2 litres) at less than €4 a pint.

No they don't. If you buy the growler at €7 (cheaper than anywhere else) then it's more expensive than the pub for your first visit. After that you're getting them (if you buy 2 litres) at less than €4 a pint.

But that's the thing, I don't buy the "cheaper than a pint" argument. That's only applicable if you're buying the beer from an actual pub. In this case you're buying them from an off licence where you can buy similar beers (if not the same ones) cheaper in bottle. Plus, you're hoping that the beer from the keg has a decent enough turnaround, which shouldn't really be a problem getting a growler filled from a pub.

But that's the thing, I don't buy the "cheaper than a pint" argument. That's only applicable if you're buying the beer from an actual pub. In this case you're buying them from an off licence where you can buy similar beers (if not the same ones) cheaper in bottle.
    The draw here is to be able to buy beer which isnt bottled cheaper than you could at the pub, to enjoy at home. Its a fairly niche market until enough breweries start doing it. In NZ you'd have a selection of 10+ which otherwise you wouldnt be able to buy at off licence prices.

Breweries were happy to produce one offs and specials for that market because it was cheaper for them than bottling.

The draw here is to be able to buy beer which isnt bottled cheaper than you could at the pub, to enjoy at home. Its a fairly niche market until enough breweries start doing it. In NZ you'd have a selection of 10+ which otherwise you wouldnt be able to buy at off licence prices.
    Exactly, that's what I mentioned earlier. It would have to have some sort of USP to make it workable, otherwise it'd just be a novelty.

It's not really. Many people just aren't able to visit a pub regularly any more without planning around baby sitters, relations etc schedules. And when you do get a night out, you'll be off out for a nice meal somewhere and maybe to a pub afterwards, where'll you'll more often than not be stuffed.

Now I can pop in to this place, get myself some nice beer to go along with a takeway, movie, the rugby, whatever, on the weekend.

Now I can pop in to this place, get myself some nice beer to go along with a takeway, movie, the rugby, whatever, on the weekend.

You can do that anyway.

• Advertisement

It's not really. Many people just aren't able to visit a pub regularly any more without planning around baby sitters, relations etc schedules. And when you do get a night out, you'll be off out for a nice meal somewhere and maybe to a pub afterwards, where'll you'll more often than not be stuffed.

We were discussing the reasons why this particular type of beer, sold from a growler via one of these machines might work. You can already buy great bottled beer.

Advertisement