Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Spec - WPM?

Options
  • 05-09-2014 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I haven't had to look at job opening for almost 15 years so this may be the norm now but I was looking at a Senior Linux Admin post yesterday where it listed requirments. All the usuals where there (and I'd be more than comfortable with them). The last item shocked me: "55-60 WPM" - WTF? Is there really that many decent Linux admins around now that it comes down to how many words you can type in a minute!?

I mean, I may be able to manage enterprise scale systems but I can only type 54 words per minute - oh well, better not apply so!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Jaysus, they're really scrapping the end of the barrel for requirements. I'd just over look it as being one of those daft requirements written by someone with too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Itzy wrote: »
    time on their hands.

I see what you did there.

Very subtle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

In my experience the Job Spec is written by HR and Operations Manager(who is rarely, actually technical), and so between the two of them, about as technically inclined as 3 blind mice. HR probably decided to be good with computers you need to be able to type fast ergo must have 60wpm.

I've not seen it before. Tbh I'd ignore it and apply if the rest of the job suits you. If they ask you about typing speeds, :rolleyes: say, in your best Winston Churchill car insurance voice, "Oh Yes!".

Advertisement