Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AirBNB - Being a host Tips/Rules/Advice

Options
  • 05-09-2014 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Anyone got advice in relation to being a host on Airbnb.
    Particularly around the areas such as Insurance and Taxation.

Before I commit myself to actually reading the terms and conditions, I was hoping I could get some quick answers from existing hosts.

- Does the income fall into the share a room scheme, so long as you don't earn over a threshold, and thus not applicable for Tax??

- Are there Insurance issues? You are basically running a business from your home?

- I assume, given you are not an official hotel/bnb, you can have your own rules.. (I wouldn't want to give a guest a key, or leave them in my house unaccompanied - obviously, I'd make every effort to accommodate their needs though, and treat them as a 'personal guest' ).

Any other tips/advice appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

This probably isn't the advice you are looking for but I recently stayed in one in Belfast.

Owner gave me a key and encouraged me to treat place as home for as long as I stayed.

Even said to help myself to breakfast.

If someone stays with you,they will likely want their own key. I know I would. Plus I was returning home late and owner was working next morning so how do you suggest getting around that one?

Personally air bnbwouldn't be for me and I wouldn't want strangers in my house regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

marcus2000 wrote: »

- I assume, given you are not an official hotel/bnb, you can have your own rules.. (I wouldn't want to give a guest a key, or leave them in my house unaccompanied - obviously, I'd make every effort to accommodate their needs though, and treat them as a 'personal guest' ).

Not give them a key? Or leave them in your place by themselves? That's really not going to work.

You really might want to reconsider if it's for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I've used Airbnb a few times and I'm considering becoming a host. Don't take this as legal or financial advice so best check with Revenue.

AFAIK it doesn't fall under the rent a room scheme. There is a VAT element to the payment the guest pays. I know that if you have a property in Ireland and you live abroad, Airbnb also withhold an element of the payment for tax purposes.

Re insurance you definitely need public liability insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

How much might the public liability insurance cost? Any insurance experts out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

zulutango wrote: »
    How much might the public liability insurance cost? Any insurance experts out there?

Try the insurance forum

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement