Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good news about health of vaping

Options
  • 05-09-2014 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Just watching the bbc news there..good research done in the UK about the benefits of vaping..

Main point that stood out for me was about how fears about vaping were alarmist..

On phone so cant link maybe someone can link to the story.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

padma wrote: »
    Just watching the bbc news there..good research done in the UK about the benefits of vaping..

Main point that stood out for me was about how fears about vaping were alarmist..

On phone so cant link maybe someone can link to the story.

Here you go. It's a good balanced piece imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

This is actually really positive.

I recently returned to vaping after a 3 month relapse to cigarettes (having previously vaped with an ego/ cigalikes for 2 monthsish).

After a bingey week of booze and smokes I decided to give vaping another shot and I bought a new MVP 2.

Then, trying to catch up with developments, I read about Diacetyl et all from Dr. farsalinos study which freaked me out a bit (basically all the flavours of eliquid could be dangerous - except tobacco?). This seemed to rule out almost all eliquids which was annoying as I had previously taken to Vanilla Custard and Bubbers Bounty. Annoying also as I finally have a good B&M store here in Limerick to try before I buy and chat etc.

I did further research on a Farsalinos thread on ECF, kindly linked to from here. This was really disturbing, particularly posts from a chemist, 'Kurt', who claims to be a co author of the Farsalinos study. Farsalinos has also contributed to this.

This prompted me to go ahead and order both PG and VG bases with nic to try flavourless vaping which I understand can be enjoyable.

I then undertook research to try and find flavours I could use on occasion to add something to the mix (first foray into DIY) which led me to Decadent Vapours (via The UKs Liberty Flights) which seem to be produced purely for vaping as opposed to flavourings made by companies which primarily market to food companies.

I'm awaiting my order now for the bases and flavourings as well as bottles, pipettes etc. I wonder was I too alarmist myself?

I also have a nagging suspicion that Farsalinos himself could be in Big Tobaccos pocket insofar as he has drummed up fear about vaping and has made removed much of the pleasure of it from many like me in terms of 'cant enjoy this, can't enjoy that', though that may be me being a little too negative as many liken him to the messiah.

Spent a sh!t load of money too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

J Mysterio wrote: »
    This is actually really positive.

I recently returned to vaping after a 3 month relapse to cigarettes (having previously vaped with an ego/ cigalikes for 2 monthsish).

After a bingey week of booze and smokes I decided to give vaping another shot and I bought a new MVP 2.

Then, trying to catch up with developments, I read about Diacetyl et all from Dr. farsalinos study which freaked me out a bit (basically all the flavours of eliquid could be dangerous - except tobacco?). This seemed to rule out almost all eliquids which was annoying as I had previously taken to Vanilla Custard and Bubbers Bounty. Annoying also as I finally have a good B&M store here in Limerick to try before I buy and chat etc.

I did further research on a Farsalinos thread on ECF, kindly linked to from here. This was really disturbing, particularly posts from a chemist, 'Kurt', who claims to be a co author of the Farsalinos study. Farsalinos has also contributed to this.

This prompted me to go ahead and order both PG and VG bases with nic to try flavourless vaping which I understand can be enjoyable.

I then undertook research to try and find flavours I could use on occasion to add something to the mix (first foray into DIY) which led me to Decadent Vapours (via The UKs Liberty Flights) which seem to be produced purely for vaping as opposed to flavourings made by companies which primarily market to food companies.

I'm awaiting my order now for the bases and flavourings as well as bottles, pipettes etc. I wonder was I too alarmist myself?

I also have a nagging suspicion that Farsalinos himself could be in Big Tobaccos pocket insofar as he has drummed up fear about vaping and has made removed much of the pleasure of it from many like me in terms of 'cant enjoy this, can't enjoy that', though that may be me being a little too negative as many liken him to the messiah.

Spent a sh!t load of money too :(

So you thought vaping might be more harmful than smoking ? :eek: not vaping would be healthier .

but i would compare vaping instead of smoking as drinking coffee instead of petrol

Dr fas is presenting the facts as he finds them good or bad that is what he said he will do and i believe him.

So try to avoid Diacetyl if you can especially if it worries you but id guess its a lot less dangerous than tar

No, I never thought it would be more harmful - it's quite obvious it's not.

The problem is to discover that there may be harmful toxins in vape where I had previously thought there were not (or at least not to that degree). It's obvious vaping is still massively healthier.

The point is that to make quitting worthwhile, you want to reduce the amount of crap you get from vape. I did probably overreact to the study though. Just want to continue my health crusade while enjoying vape. Peace of mind and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

J Mysterio wrote: »
    No, I never thought it would be more harmful - it's quite obvious it's not.

The problem is to discover that there may be harmful toxins in vape where I had previously thought there were not (or at least not to that degree). It's obvious vaping is still massively healthier.

The point is that to make quitting worthwhile, you want to reduce the amount of crap you get from vape. I did probably overreact to the study though. Just want to continue my health crusade while enjoying vape. Peace of mind and all that.

Vaping is less harmful than smoking, obviously cold turkey is healthier but of course much harder and most of us enjoy many aspects of it.

Some people vape with a view to wean off and quit but most, me included
    see it for what it is a much less harmful much cheaper much more socially acceptable alternative , if vaping kills you, you will be the first

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

I started vaping two years ago..had an immediate health benefit..lungs..wheezing stopped etc etc..then Christmas last year I tried a 0mg option and enjoyed it..Since Christmas I bought 2 x 30 ml bottles of 0mg juice and last week I stopped altogether.

As a cessation product it can also work..the 0mg option tasted the exact same as the 12 mg option..it was purely in my head the need to vape with the 0mg as there was no addiction.

Though times when I needed to think..destress..after meals..before going to bed..the usual times we used to reach for a fag was replaced with the 0mg..until I just didnt need at them times anymore.

It was the constant vaping on the 12mg that made me switch to 0mg.. even sometimes having the device in my hand for an hour or two..puffing away every few minutes made me think of my relationship with it wasnt healthy even though Im very grateful of the invention.

masonchat wrote: »
    Vaping is less harmful than smoking, obviously cold turkey is healthier but of course much harder and most of us enjoy many aspects of it.

Some people vape with a view to wean off and quit but most, me included
    see it for what it is a much less harmful much cheaper much more socially acceptable alternative , if vaping kills you, you will be the first

You're preaching to the converted - my only interest here is new developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

According to vapefreaks.com

"Hangsen has passed ISO 9001 and GMP International Quality Assurance.
    The products have received SGS, TUV, CE and ROHS certificates, including German TUV approval.
    NO DEG (Diethylene glycol)"

Are Diacetyl and Diethylene the same thing, or something completely different? I'm confused!!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Get Real

This article is a huge step in the right direction. I love vaping but don't do it to excess.

I now have an MVP 2 and the clouds off of it are way more satisfying than smoking, even with 0 nic.

I was always of the opinion that while vaping is better than smoking, its entirely possible that it has adverse health effects.

I would like to see further research into this, just so the anti-smoking lobby can engage properly in the whole debate. I would hate to think that people who are so anti-smoking, automatically lobby for these to be banned, potentially costing lives because people who would have switched carry on smoking.

What I gathered from the article is that 60,000 people a year in the UK die from smoking, and if all 9million smokers switched, 54,000 lives per year would be saved. This means, yes, 6000 people a year would still die,

but that is a 90% lower death rate from smoking.

Again, while encouraging, it is only one study, if we could get numerous studies over the next 5-10 years to prove this 90% reduction, certain people in society would take them seriously. People may still die, but at much lower rates than present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

What I gathered from the article is that 60,000 people a year in the UK die from smoking, and if all 9million smokers switched, 54,000 lives per year would be saved. This means, yes, 6000 people a year would still die,

Not to mention millions saved by the Government on treating Smoking Related Illnesses.

However, play the numbers game for a minute, does the government spend more than 12 BILLION per year currently on treating smoking related illnesses ?

Hypothetically, if they all switched to ecigs, and if the goverment taxed nicotine based juice. I would guess 1/2 turn to nicotine less juice within a year and there is now not only a shortfall of 6 billion in revenue per year, but also another 60,000 people (per year), of whom lets say 10,000 are on social welfare and 10,000 are retired who now will survive and need to be paid for.

Nasty way of looking at things, but pretty sure that the governments are looking at it this way too.

The study also found that there was 90% less of the toxin in the worst offending E-cigs vs real cigs, and even then only in certain flavors.
    I also have a nagging suspicion that Farsalinos himself could be in Big Tobaccos pocket insofar as he has drummed up fear about vaping and has made removed much of the pleasure of it

He seems to be a guy who seem to want to give no excuse to FDA/EU style health agencies to proclaim that e-cigs be banned / restricted as medical devices etc. By giving the e-cig industry facts on which to act on BEFORE the governments/agencies do their own biased studies based on similar evidence he actually buys more time for us all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement