Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nct with out of date licence

Options
  • 05-09-2014 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭

Will the nct people accept a drivers licence that's out of date by a couple of days?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

I can't see why not, it's just a proof of ID. If they don't accept it, they'll still do the test and just withhold the cert at the end. You can get anyone else with a licence to collect it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Id be amazed if they even noticed tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

The licence number is entered into the system, it will most likely be flagged if it is expired or not a valid licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

michellie wrote: »
    The licence number is entered into the system, it will most likely be flagged if it is expired or not a valid licence.

Is it? The only time I think they ever asked me for ID she just glaced at it (presumably just to ensure that my face matched the picture) and then handed it back to me. I dont recall her entering anything into the system, and even if they did Im not sure that NCT would have access to the drivers license database, would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ah, will just take someone else to present the car to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,140 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just bring your passport, they will accept that also.

djimi wrote: »
    Is it? The only time I think they ever asked me for ID she just glaced at it (presumably just to ensure that my face matched the picture) and then handed it back to me. I dont recall her entering anything into the system, and even if they did Im not sure that NCT would have access to the drivers license database, would they?

Yep, the number is entered in, (on occasions I have typed the wrong number and it says its invalid)it's not entered in with passport.

Soon, not sure what date, but passports will not be accepted and licence will be the only form of ID accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Soon, not sure what date, but passports will not be accepted and licence will be the only form of ID accepted.

Great idea. I like their way of thinking. Few years later probably they will also stop accepting driving licence, so no one will be able to NCT their car at all.

CiniO wrote: »
    Great idea. I like their way of thinking. Few years later probably they will also stop accepting driving licence, so no one will be able to NCT their car at all.

Exactly! It will be even easier for everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Easy there Michelle.
    It sounds like you're talking yourself out of a job......:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Har har, but you have to have your licence on you if you've driven it to the NCT centre anyway. It's more likely that they'd insist on only accepting NDLS issued licenses and ignoring foreign issued and old Irish ones as they couldn't verify their validity online. Obviously they would find out very quickly that such actions were inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

So what ? - it's still I.d. The guy standing in front you hasn't expired....

And as Marcus says, how will you deal with a non-Irish licence ? There's no requirement for a presenter to be irish.... and we've been in the EU for a long time now. ...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    So what ? - it's still I.d. The guy standing in front you hasn't expired....
    Well, it might be ID but it's not valid any more.
    If they can't accept National ID cards (which are eqiuvalent to passports when travelling through EU) then why would they even think of accepting expired licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Well, it might be ID but it's not valid any more.
    If they can't accept National ID cards (which are eqiuvalent to passports when travelling through EU) then why would they even think of accepting expired licences.

It's not valid as a licence - the rest is. You're not validating anything except the name and that it matches the picture.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    It's not valid as a licence - the rest is. You're not validating anything except the name and that it matches the picture.

So if you are validating only your name and picture, then please tell me why don't they accept National ID's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

So if you are validating only your name and picture, then please tell me why don't they accept National ID's ?
    Because government wrote the law that way; however I agree with your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Because they are not a driving license or passport and that's what's on the site and freely available.

FWIW, driving licenses don't expire - only the piece of paper or card expires. You never lose a driving license, you need to renew it that's all. You can get points on an expired license, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Why does the presenter of the car need any form of ID?
    Is the driver getting an NCT?

Probably something around the % of people who forget to lift their licence then have to pay for a re-test.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Why does the presenter of the car need any form of ID?
    Is the driver getting an NCT?

Probably something around the % of people who forget to lift their licence then have to pay for a re-test.

No. There is quite a valid reason for it. It is to prevent people continually presenting cars to their mate / contact who might be doing them favours. For example, small time dealer gives a brown envelope to one nct tester and then passes all his cars through him. The nct people can now cross reference various data. Its certainly not fool proof but it's another barrier again dodgy tests.

mickdw wrote: »
    No. There is quite a valid reason for it. It is to prevent people continually presenting cars to their mate / contact who might be doing them favours. For example, small time dealer gives a brown envelope to one nct tester and then passes all his cars through him. The nct people can now cross reference various data. Its certainly not fool proof but it's another barrier again dodgy tests.

Indeed there are valid reasons to check identity of people presenting cars for NCT, but there is absolutely no reason to limit documents you can use for this purpose to driving licence and passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

mickdw wrote: »

Is this a joke?
    So corrupt NCT staff is the reason we need to bring our licence even if it happens this is not a valid reason.

The whole system is a joke and really a money making racket.

Un-related but why is it, if my NCT is up in Jan and I don't get an appointment until say March and after the car passes the NCT in March it is only valid from the origianl date Jan?? The car has been proven to be safe from the March date...

Advertisement