Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceledent

Options
  • 05-09-2014 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

Does anyone know if AcceleDent is available in Ireland?

I just started invisalign last week, I have 53 aligners and don't know can I stick these things for 2 years! I know AcceleDent is used in the US for faster orthodontic treatment times, I'd be interested if it was available here.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I have not heard of it before and had to look it up.

This metalanalysis show it has no statistical effect. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25072362

This masters thesis show no effect
    http://digitalcommons.uconn.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1566&context=gs_theses

There is a rat model study showing some effect but I would trust the human studies more. The authors struggled to find statistical significance. All the evidence on the products own site is non human.
    http://acceledent.com/images/uploads/Darendeliler_ADJ_2007.pdf

My limited opinion is that while there may be merit, there is not yet any good quality evidence on humans from a randomized controlled trial. I cannot find anyone in ireland doing it. Time will tell, I am sure if it is useful it will become more mainstream. Unfortunately an awful lot of these type of products find limited or no clinical use. I worry when a product is released before the evidence is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 suefox

Thanks for your reply fitzgeme. I can't access the full text of the meta analysis, but as it includes just 18 studies, many of which were investigating methods other than AcceleDent (the authors admit that it was a very heterogenous sample) I don't think that the results are very conclusive. However as I can only read the abstract I suppose I can't be sure! I also agree that one must exercise caution in interpreting the results of non-human trials.

That said, I have come across much anecdotal evidence of people who have used AcceleDent with their invisalign appliances, and (again from a very non-scientific web search) have seemed to get good results. The main advantage is that orthodontists typically recommend changing invisalign trays every week with the AcceleDent system, as opposed to every two weeks, therefore cutting treatment time in half.

It appears that AcceleDent is still going through clinical trials in the US, and I realise that this means that it's actual effectiveness has not been proven. Nevertheless I'm just wondering has anyone in Ireland used this as a complement to treatment with Invisalign?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

suefox wrote: »
    The main advantage is that orthodontists typically recommend changing invisalign trays every week with the AcceleDent system, as opposed to every two weeks, therefore cutting treatment time in half
    This being the case, orthodontists should & would be even more keen to use this system than patients, as it would be in their best interests also. (Increased practice efficiency, increased revenue, increased patient satisfaction, ect)

Advertisement