Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CV IT placement help please!

Options
  • 04-09-2014 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hello there,

I am going to be doing an IT placement this year as part of my course and we need to upload a CV. In the registration page there are fields where we enter information e.g. practical course work, computer literacy, additional skills etc... I have attached an example of one of these fields

Now I have been told that grades play a big part. My grades are quite good but I would like to have a great CV to go along with that.
    The two fields I am having trouble with are for projects/practical course work, computer literacy,hobbies & interests and additional skills.

I would really appreciate the help.
    Everything in bold is the written the exact same way in the CV.

For projects and practical course work I have:

Calorie counter in C.
    • Used functions and structures to determine the total number of calories eaten in a day along nutritional values.
    • A personalized food database developed.
    • User enters the name and weight of food eaten.
    • The program returns nutritional values and gives a breakdown of protein, fats, calories etc consumed during the day.

Word game in C.
    • Developed as a group project
    • Recording and managing weekly expenses while living as a student.
    • Produces a weekly finance statement.

Advanced dictionary search
    • Searches if words in a document are in a pre defined dictionary.
    • Stop words and punctuation are ignored.
    • Plurals are treated as non plurals.
    • Illegal words are printed to screen.

Developed a chat server using javascript as part of an end of year group project.

For computer literacy I have:

Proficient knowledge of C and Java both in game design and practical use. Good knowledge of Microsoft office and javascript. Working knowledge of HTML, movie maker, reaper,Wordpress, access, minitab and matlab. Basic knowledge of Flash and fireworks and pivot.

For hobbies I have:

Cycling, going to the gym, reading, playing football, web programming.

For additional skills I have:
    piano playing, provisional driving licence.

Thank you to anyone who can help me improve these two crucial sections.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Your projects aren't selling you. You're just listing what they do. This will make the reader fall asleep.

This is just off the top of my head but I'd rewrite one like this:

Intuitive, accurate calorie counter
    • Researched the nutritional values of foods commonly consumed by Irish people, and created a easy-to-use application to track calories and macro nutrition.
    • Developed in C.
    • Followed programming best practices.
    • Awarded the highest grade (A).

You get the idea I hope...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

The modern thing to do is to have some sort of engineering blog.
    for example here is mine.
    http://ogprojects.wordpress.com/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I second Moonlightings comment. If you want to showcase your abilities, then use a blog. It's something you can maintain long after you leave College when you are seeking employment.

Here's mine: http://javacsharpdeveloper.wordpress.com/ It's not much to look at, at the moment, but I'm updating it and have a link to it on my LinkedIn profile and CV if employers want to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭danielgalway

Thats very true, I have changed it now to 'sell' myself. I think I might actually look into making a blog for the coming year of college.

Thanks for all the help :)

Should I take the same approach in the computer literacy section and perhaps list grades
    For example.

Working knowledge of and Java. Achieved A grade in dictionary search project?

Or something along those lines.

Or would that just be repetition?

Advertisement