Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When to use : and ;

Options
  • 04-09-2014 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I'm doing my CV at the moment and I'm listing a few of my attributes but I'm not sure should I be using , or ;. When I should the former and when should I use the latter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I would use a colon and commas in a list, e.g.
    "Operating Systems: DOS, Unix, Windows 95-Windows 8, Mac OS."
    In a cv, you could use a semicolon in a list that begins in more of a sentence-like structure, e.g.
    "I like foreign languages; French, Spanish and German."

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

; is for two separate clauses (which should function independently as sentences) which are closely linked.

"I'm a keen traveller; I've visited over 40 countries"

There's really no place for a semi-colon on a CV, that I can see.

There's nothing wrong with that exact sentence in a CV, down in the "Interests" section, where I'd include the foreign language example I made.

Yakuza wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with that exact sentence in a CV, down in the "Interests" section, where I'd include the foreign language example I made.

I don't think your foreign languages example is correct since "French, Spanish and German." isn't an independence clause. Considered by itself it doesn't make grammatical sense.

I would consider the following to be correct:

"I like foreign languages; I'm fluent in French, Spanish and German."

"I'm fluent in three languages: I can converse freely in French, Spanish and German."

In the semi-colon example, the former and latter clauses can be considered independently but both are closely related. In the colon example, the latter clause expands upon the former.

It's a CV, not pure prose and I don't think the above convention necessarily applies to them. On CVs (I see a good few during the course of my work), I have seen plenty of lists prefixed by such a sentence.

A CV has conflicting priorities; it needs to get as much information across as possible without being overly long and also without being overly dry. Peppering it with long sentences will put a potential employer off reading it and using only pure lists makes it too dry and robotic. I think what I've outlined above is a fair compromise, but maybe I'm in the minority.

To be on the safe side, OP, stick with colons!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Naggins

Meant , and ;. Like making a list here is an example: filing; photocopying; etc or is it filing, photocopying, ...

I don't really know when to use ;.

Ah, then commas all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

This:
    ; is for two separate clauses (which should function independently as sentences) which are closely linked.

It is also used in the same way as a comma in a list when the clauses are more complex.

The joining instructions are as follows: be there on time; bring socks and pants; be in uniform; do not chew on the bus.

As opposed to:

Ensure you bring: pants, shoes, comb, socks and a tooth brush.

Advertisement