Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Groups for young non-drinkers?

• 04-09-2014 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,

I'm a 21 year old non-drinker studying in NUI Galway. Six months ago, after much deliberation, I decided to give up alcohol. It is a decision that I am very happy with, but I have now encountered a bit of a problem.

My girlfriend of nearly three years is meeting me in a couple of days, seemingly with the intention of breaking up with me. After a few tough days, I've dusted myself off, but it's got me thinking about problems I may face.

I'm not a fan of nightclubs, and wouldn't be the most confident at chatting up women even with alcohol. To be honest, I feel like it's just not my scene. I also find people very unsympathetic to drinkers in general, and I feel it may hold me back. I also have found it difficult in recent years to make a breakthrough in the line of making friends, unless there's a few drinks involved. I want to make new friends, but not with drink. I do not want to cut myself off from the world just because I don't like alcohol. I feel this would be easier in a more sympathetic environment.

I was looking to find a group for younger people who do not drink. To my surprise, there seems to be nothing within the college for people like me. I don't consider myself overly religious. I am a bit, but I believe that being religious would be a pretty central part of the Pioneer association, which is geared more towards people older than me anyway. I'm not THAT different to most lads outside of the fact that I don't drink.

So basically, I would like to meet people my age who are like me in this regard. Am I asking for too much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tealcottage

Start with attending the non drinking activities that you enjoy. Always a good spot to meet new friends and away from drink.

Advertisement