Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

407 hdi fuel pump failed.

Options
  • 04-09-2014 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

My friends 2007 407hdi (1.6) has a failed fuel pump and the peugeot garage he went to are quoting him €2400 to replace it, service the injectors etc.,and do the timing belt again. I say again because it was done already not too long ago and to do the pump apparently requires removal of the belt??
    Anyway, all this apparently requires the engine out! Hence the pricey bill.
    My question is; is this a reasonable price? Does the engine need to come out?
    I told me mate to ring a diesel place in drogheda because they might be cheaper. I suppose the time to ring around was before he took it to a peugeot dealer!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Guest0000

shedweller wrote: »
    My friends 2007 407hdi (1.6) has a failed fuel pump and the peugeot garage he went to are quoting him €2400 to replace it, service the injectors etc.,and do the timing belt again. I say again because it was done already not too long ago and to do the pump apparently requires removal of the belt??
    Anyway, all this apparently requires the engine out! Hence the pricey bill.
    My question is; is this a reasonable price? Does the engine need to come out?
    I told me mate to ring a diesel place in drogheda because they might be cheaper. I suppose the time to ring around was before he took it to a peugeot dealer!

a set of guaranteed, low mileage secondhand pump and injectors are worth in the region of 500 euros give or take, plus labour for fitting, but than a main dealer is quoting for brand new parts, with an average hourly labour rate in the region of around 100euros/hr. which soon adds up.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

There is no need to remove the engine to replace the hp fuel pump.
    If you remove the bottom engine mount then the engine will tilt forward enough engine to gain access.
    The timing belt will need to come off so it is wise to replace with a t-belt kit/water pump when the old one is off.
    Like Guest0000 said i'd go down the secondhand route with both hp pump and injectors as they dont normally give trouble unless it was run on a petrol/diesel mix...Also flush out the fuel lines/tank and replace the diesel filter...:)

Note - The injectors will need to be coded in but this will not stop the engine from starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Row wrote: »
    There is no need to remove the engine to replace the hp fuel pump.
    If you remove the bottom engine mount then the engine will tilt forward enough engine to gain access.
    The timing belt will need to come off so it is wise to replace with a t-belt kit/water pump when the old one is off.
    Like shedweller i'd go down the secondhand route with both hp pump and injectors as they dont normally give trouble unless it was run on a petrol/diesel mix...Also flush out the fuel lines/tank and replace the diesel filter...:)

Note - The injectors will need to be coded in but this will not stop the engine from starting.
    Thank you for that. I'll get onto yer man tomorrow to ring around for a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

shedweller wrote: »
    Thank you for that. I'll get onto yer man tomorrow to ring around for a second opinion.

Any good independent garage should do this alot cheaper than the price he was quoted....Best of luck and let us know how he gets on..;)

Advertisement