Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do with my lawn!?

Options
  • 04-09-2014 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi all
    I sowed a small lawn 2 years ago but to date only part of it has been a success. I think I might have been a bit mean with the topsoil on one section.I have more topsoil so should I burn off the bad patch and lay more topsoil over this section??see attached photo, it might explain better.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

You could burn it off but personally I wouldn’t bother, I would scarify it( hire a petrol scarified from a tool hire) over dress it with the top soil, then over seed it, then when it starts to grow fertilize it with a high nitrogen fertilizer.

I have carried this out with great success, but I have only done it in the spring. You could do it at this time of year (minus the fertilizer) but that might cause other problems as you don’t know how the weather will turn. By the way I would do the whole garden while I was at it not just the bare patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Don't use anything with a high nitrogen content, unless you want silage, 7/6/17 will give good results on a lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

as a rule i'd agree but in this case it will help, you will be cutting it twice a week though but it will really bring it on. as i mentioned you would only use it if you were doing the job in the spring.

Advertisement