Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holy crap my nurse placement's far HELP!

Options
  • 04-09-2014 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

So I put down St. Vincent's as my first choice but I got Mater instead. I live in Bray which means it takes me around 1 hr 30 to get there by taking two buses. I'm going to talk to the general nursing co-ordinator if she can do anything to help me. Do you guys have any advice on what I should? If I should contact the hospital directly and explain my situation? Is it even possible to change when everything's so hectic?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

I wouldn't hold out much hope. They are very strict on this being first come, first served. I can't see the hospital doing anything, they have nothing to do with who is allocated where, that is all down to UCD. Your best chance will be the clinical allocations officer in UCD. But I know several people who tried to change last year and were travelling further than you and they were told no chance. In order for you to switch to Vincents, they'd have to make someone move from there to the Mater which wouldn't be fair or easy to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You could get a train and Dublin Bike which might cut the time slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'd second the bike idea. The Mater is a 25mins walk from Connelly Station, and Vincents is about 10 from Sydney Parade. So A bike from Connelly to the Mater is about the same time wise. The only difference is longer on the Dart.

You got it seriously handy by the way. I know people who had to commute, unpaid, to placements in Longford on a bi-weekly basis. And I've never heard of anyone successfully changing their placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yoajing

ironclaw wrote: »
    I'd second the bike idea. The Mater is a 25mins walk from Connelly Station, and Vincents is about 10 from Sydney Parade. So A bike from Connelly to the Mater is about the same time wise. The only difference is longer on the Dart.

You got it seriously handy by the way. I know people who had to commute, unpaid, to placements in Longford on a bi-weekly basis. And I've never heard of anyone successfully changing their placement.

So you're saying that if I cycle from Connelly to Mater, it's around 10 minutes? And jeez, Longford? Kinda makes me feel better now…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

yoajing wrote: »
    So you're saying that if I cycle from Connelly to Mater, it's around 10 minutes? And jeez, Longford? Kinda makes me feel better now…

Generally I find Google's walking directions and times to be overestimated by about 5 mins. So if you are brisk enough, I'd say 20 mins at the most. Cycling, depends on traffic but I really think you could do it in 15 or less.

Its a pity the 145 doesn't go to Parnell St any more. Would have been dead handy for you. 84X may be an option as its super quick into town from Bray but the schedule leaves alot to be desired.

• Advertisement
Advertisement