Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Camshaft sensor position

Options
  • 04-09-2014 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi, I brought my 2012 vw golf 1.2 TSI for service (VW Garage).I was told there was an error stored relating to camshaft position sensor. They wanted €120 to do a software update to clear problem. This sounds dodgy. Why would software cost this amount when car already in garage and hooked up to their diagnostic equipment. How do they know there is nothing wrong with sensor.Car running fine by the way so told them not to do update. Any body heard of this kind of solution before?. I have a limited knowledge of cars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,320 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Dermot224 wrote: »
    Hi, I brought my 2012 vw golf 1.2 TSI for service (VW Garage).I was told there was an error stored relating to camshaft position sensor. They wanted €120 to do a software update to clear problem. This sounds dodgy. Why would software cost this amount when car already in garage and hooked up to their diagnostic equipment. How do they know there is nothing wrong with sensor.Car running fine by the way so told them not to do update. Any body heard of this kind of solution before?. I have a limited knowledge of cars.

On a 12 car, that's taking the piss imo.
    I think its part of service procedure that they must check for available software updates and apply them to the car.
    Certainly, I've never paid for a software update and I've had a good few on my audi both inside and outside warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Shouldn't a 2012 VW still be under the 3 year warranty?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Shouldn't a 2012 VW still be under the 3 year warranty?
    Was it not 2 year?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Dermot224

Car is 5 months past its 2 year warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Yet another reason to not buy a VAG. That should be done FOC if you have a service history with them. Bad form

• Advertisement

Car is 5 months past its 2 year warranty

Vw make a point of saying that main dealer servicing is the only way you can avail of any updates that come on stream for type car.
    Don't pay for it. Demand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I've had good will a year out of warranty. If they won't apply for it then find a dealer that will.

What I cant understand is how a problem with the sensor can be fixed by a software update.
    Why are they not telling me I need to replace sensor or even worse why are they not telling me there is a problem with timing. If there is no serious problem why bother with update when car seems to be running fine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I hope it isn't the dreaded stretched timing chain issue and vw are stalling for time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

€120 for a software update on a car less than 2 years old!is it still in warranty? I'd be ringing customer care!? Toyota do these for free as part of a general service!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

What I cant understand is how a problem with the sensor can be fixed by a software update.
    Why are they not telling me I need to replace sensor or even worse why are they not telling me there is a problem with timing. If there is no serious problem why bother with update when car seems to be running fine?

This is obviously speculation on my part but I would guess that the software update probably consists of changing certain parameters to allow for more timing chain stretch before running issues and fault code become apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,289 ✭✭✭alias no.9

This is obviously speculation on my part but I would guess that the software update probably consists of changing certain parameters to allow for more timing chain stretch before running issues and fault code become apparent.

It's hard to think of anything else that can be achieved through software other than masking the issue. If that's what they're doing, it's devious in the extreme, to charge a customer money for doing it is outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Not to worry you, but I had a similar fault code and I'm picking my 08 VW TSI up today after a timing chain swap as the old* one stretched.

1400 bill.

I'd go look for a 2nd opinion while VW might still cover you.

I'd say you're spot on there. Typical vw, cure the symptoms and not the disease.

Not to worry you, but I had a similar fault code and I'm picking my 08 VW TSI up today after a timing chain swap as the old* one stretched.

1400 bill.

I'd go look for a 2nd opinion while VW might still cover you.

Why did you decide to go with the main dealer in the end, out of interest?

I am getting worried now. Where is the best place to find an admission by vw that there was a problem with timing chain. I cant find anything on internet except an article in german

Why did you decide to go with the main dealer in the end, out of interest?

Ease of mind I suppose, out of personal experience I have a bad experience with a big job before and been left heavily out of pocket, I'm hoping they can stand over any work done without much argument if it goes south.

I also hope that having the history of it VW replaced will ease any future sales questions, they also gave me a nice Seat Exeo free till its back.

I am getting worried now. Where is the best place to find an admission by vw that there was a problem with timing chain. I cant find anything on internet except an article in german

Not sure if its the same engine?

http://www.adamlewin.co.uk/vw-mk5-golf-tsi-engine-timing-chain-problem/

Ease of mind I suppose, out of personal experience I have a bad experience with a big job before and been left heavily out of pocket, I'm hoping they can stand over any work done without much argument if it goes south.

I also hope that having the history of it VW replaced will ease any future sales questions, they also gave me a nice Seat Exeo free till its back.

Thanks. We are always trying to figure out ways of enticing people out of main dealer workshops so any insight is valuable :)

Thanks. We are always trying to figure out ways of enticing people out of main dealer workshops so any insight is valuable :)

If (when) it happens to me I know who'll be doing my car and it ain't going to be a main dealer... Expect a pm George when I see the dreaded orange light.

• Advertisement
Advertisement